• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grrrrr. XP down most of the day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

It ran real nice the first 36 hours I had it folding, was chomping thru' 7 point gromacses at just over an hour and a half each. Now it's playing up, I'm not sure it's the folding because I was encountering some problems like this before.

What it is doing is just freezing up, no bsod or anything, no reboot, I've had the system monitor on screen and the last recorded temps were low enough (Maybe it's the system monitor????) Doesn't seem to be corrupting units because on reboot F@H can pick up where it left off. The annoying thing is it seems to be crashing about 5 minutes after I leave it alone at the moment. I mean I was surfing on it for hours last night went to bed and in the morning it was frozen with the time showing about 5 mins after I left it. Got it going again this morning, turned off all screensavers and powersaving in case that was glitching it, and messed around a while again, then went back this afternoon and it was locked up again, again at just a few minutes after I left it :rolleyes:

This is really annoying, a few months ago I was leaving it running prime 95 looping the test for 48 hours and it was fine, then I remember it ticking me off because I was leaving it on the desktop with like nothing running and it was freezing.

OS is Win98SE system is in sig.

What has happened to anyone else when they have had instability crashes with gromacs? Has it just froze like this or does the core quit with an error?

Really don't know what to look for here, I can get the CPU up over 55C before heat is a problem (currently runs 43C doing a gromacs unit with 19C ambient)

Gonna go search issues with any of the gigabyte utils that are running.

Road Warrior

Lock-up

Mine did the same thing last night. I couldn't tell you what the problem was though:

sometimes it locks up and when I reboot one or both of my HDD's are not detected- loose IDE cable

sometimes it reboots and won't post because of a bad bios rom checksum- wiggle motherboard and its ok

I just added a second 512mb stick and swapped a 2400+ for an 1800+ (both Tbreds). So there's really too many varaibles for me to isolate and too many little problems that keep recurring.

That does sound like a MBD problem. Go into your bios and look at power options. Turn off all of your power saving options in there. I know that many MBD's have problems with this. It's something to look at.

Hmmm well the Gigabytch is behaving better at last and I'm getting some production out of it. But I'm down to 133 FSB to do it. XP is on a 12x multi for 1600. Trying to figure if I want to mess with the L5 bridge to get 13x.

Back