• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official "Why Do You Fold" Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

Let me start:

I fold because I've had countless relatives, all of them I was very close to, die from cancer.

If the world gained the knowledge that is being pieced together in this F@H project back before my uncle died, before my grandpa died, and before all the others that died that I loved dearly-- They might just be alive right now.

I fold for them. I fold in the hopes that people won't die from these diseases in the future. And even though it's just a few GHz, I know that I am making a difference.

It's not for points (anyone that looks at my scores can tell :p), it's not for bragging rights, I don't even feel that this is for this team. I do it for the good of others, and I do it in memory of all that died from these diseases and cancers.

So lets stop folding for bragging rights, and start folding for the real reason. Each of you have your own reasons... your own stories. Please tell them.

To quote Jack Handy, I fold to make the world a better place for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

lol, j/k i fold because i don't think anyone should have to suffer from any disease and this is a good way to start. It is also very interesting, and the stats make it fun too.

1. it helps!
2. its fun seeing you beat your pal!
3. its fun seeing your team beating others!
4. it means I can have more than 1 computer!

Because I think the folding question is a facinating problem at the interface of physics and biology, and I'm a big believer in "knowledge for the sake of knowledge."

SBs

I have several reasons why I fold, one being that I have had several friends and relatives die from cancer or other related diseases that folding offers the possibilty of finding a cure for. The most recent and most hard jitting circumstance for me was a dear friends son (which is the same age as my son, 11 now, 10 then) died of terminal cancer, his entire body was taken over from it and he spent the last year and a half bedridden and not able to do anything a growing boy of that age should be able to do.
Second, my computers aren't doing anything else 95% of the time anyways;)

Well I fold because my family has a history of diabetes/diabetic disorders and because I will be damned if I do not help as many people as I can on this earth acheive happiness.

I choose to put my rig to some good use when Im not using it, I have my very first baby (7 months old now) and if I can make her future safer by doing something as easy as this then sign me up!

I fold for her.

Tweaked! said:
I have several reasons why I fold, one being that I have had several friends and relatives die from cancer or other related diseases that folding offers the possibilty of finding a cure for. The most recent and most hard jitting circumstance for me was a dear friends son (which is the same age as my son, 11 now, 10 then) died of terminal cancer, his entire body was taken over from it and he spent the last year and a half bedridden and not able to do anything a growing boy of that age should be able to do.
Second, my computers aren't doing anything else 95% of the time anyways;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. My good friends sister is dieing right now. It's really sad. She's only about 14 and it almost seems unfair to die at such a young age.

But this is why we fold.

ooh, official - must post... lol

i started folding as stress-testing, and also because it used up my spare cpu cycles, which was kinda what i was looking for... i finally wanted to be able to put them to a good use... someone mentioned the contest (which gnerma won - 4 months ago) in the general chat, and that brought me to folding... not for the contest, but because i found it... i never cared to look at what really folding was before then... now- i fold because i think we might help humanity someday... it uses up our WASTED cpu cycles - but i haven't really lost anyone to those diseases, nor do i think we'll find the cure for AIDS or cancer, but it WILL help scientists with different "lesser" cures ... heh, look, i even won a processor :D

I started folding because I wanted to help the protein researchers out. And besides, it doesn't hurt to have it running, so what the heck. ;)

"What the heck"

Now why dont more people think like that. All across the forums, there are people not involved in folding. I wonder why they aren't, and how we can convince them to sign up...

~JeFF

Back