• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the right heatsink for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Felix

Registered
Hello all,

I'm currently using a V7+ on low speed to cool my 1800XP (palomino). The noise is rather annoying, and it doesn't seem to be doing a great cooling job, so I'm thinking about getting a new heatsink. It needs to be:

1) Quiet!
2) Provides some overclocking headroom
3) Not too expensive
4) Cannot use mounting holes, as the mobo is an asus a7v333.

After looking around I thought the best one would be the latest Zalman, with their cute flower cooler. The 92mm fan should be quite an improvement over the 70mm fan. The cost is around the upper limits of what I'd like to spend.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Should the Zalman be a significant improvement over the V7+? Many thanks guys.

If you want your pc to be silent, then the Zalman will do that.

But around here people seem to say that Zalmans are poor for overclocking. Maybe the flower heatsink with a decent fan would be more successful. Im not really sure.

hmm

just buy a good copper HS like the Thermaltake SK-7 with a low DBA fan.. It will be quiet and very good cooling for OCing... the SK series is very known and respected.

Just make sure you get the right size fan (the Sk-7 takes 70MM and 80MM) and the right pin size (3-pin goes to the motherboard and is best for HS's or chipset cooling, 4-pin goes though the PSU and will cause more wires in the case)

I'd say get a fan for about $7 with a good amount of CFM... It's more important then how loud it is, but If you really want it quiet you will need to spend more money or get a louder fan.

it should cost you about $30 total with shipping.
SVC.com

Volcano 9's

Volcanos 9s aren't bad eithe and cost slightly less, however you wont get as good cooling as the Sk-7/Fan combo and it will cost more.

Wouldn't a Volcano 11 be better than a Volcano 9? I'll have a look into the SK series.

The SLKs rock: I have a virtually silent XP1700@1575 with an SLK-800 and 7volted Sunon fan.

So quiet I had to 7v the single exhaust fan and the psu fan too (they were making too much noise :D)

the panaflow high volumes that are 32dba, with nexus how low can you turn these down to? like dba estimated

I just ordered a SK7 and a TT SF II. I picked the TT SF II for its flexibility in trading-off very high CFM and noise level to suit different needs. Also TT SF II is among the top CFM/dbA ratio.

This is why I picked SK7.

Try Glacial Tech Igloo 2500 or 2500 Pro, Newegg should have them. They are good and inexpensive coolers, both perform similar to Volcano 7+ on high with 20 or 10dBa less noise. For comparison you can look
here.

Felix said:
I'm currently using a V7+ on low speed to cool my 1800XP (palomino). The noise is rather annoying, and it doesn't seem to be doing a great cooling job, so I'm thinking about getting a new heatsink. It needs to be:

1) Quiet!
2) Provides some overclocking headroom
3) Not too expensive
4) Cannot use mounting holes, as the mobo is an asus a7v333.

Why can't you use the mounting holes? I've got an SLK-900U on my a7v333 motherboard, and it uses the mounting holes.

Looks like you're right, its partially concealed by the heatsink, but it seems the mobo does indeed have mounting holes. However I suspect a heatsink that need to use the mounting holes would be getting expensive, I'm also reluntant to use such a heavy heatsink.

I think the Aeroflow would be a good choice for you as well. If I remember correctly mine was only $25. You may want to slow the fan down on it a bit, but it will still cool well and allow you to oc even at 2/3 speed.

i also vote thermalright. the SLK's are about the best cooler available and the noise depends on what fan you go with. so get a mid CFM fan with low noise levels or get a big nasty fan to run on 7v with an slk 800A and you're set.

Back