• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy Lexan...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Just wondering, where do you guys get your Lexan?

The home depot around town doesn't seem to carry anything but Plexi...I don't remember if I tried Lowes...

Just wondering where is a good local source for Lexan?

try the phone book....that's how I found a piece of glass that I needed when I bashed my scanner in, rofl. I'm sure there are similar places that work with plastics, and could get you the exact size of lexan you need....they could probably engrave/etch it if you wanted them too.

Yeah,
DaveSauce is right. Try a phonebook and look up glass dealerships(is that what you call them?LOL). Anyway, if they don't have it, they ccould either order it in or tell you where to get it.

Scott

:)

Lexan is tougher (and therefor easier to cut with most tools, and it wont crack as much), doesnt scratch as easily, And I think looks clearer than plexi. It also doesnt seem to attract dust as much as plexi.

Re: :)

[OC]Lucifer said:
Lexan is tougher (and therefor easier to cut with most tools, and it wont crack as much), doesnt scratch as easily, And I think looks clearer than plexi. It also doesnt seem to attract dust as much as plexi.

nope

Lexan/Polycarbonate is made for applications that require impact resistance. It's mildy scratch resistant, but does not handle abrasion well. It's much much easier to tool and has excellent thermal resistance qualities. It has a higher operating temperature because of it's chemical mix (it can withstand upto 275 degree F)
Lexan is my prefered material because it's non-toxic and easy to work with. It also warps without fear of cracking or splitting.

Plexi/Acrylic is used in applications that require optical clarity, heat-warping, glueing/seam-melding, and highly scratch resistant surfaces. This is far more suited for the construction of display cases/stands, greenhouses, and non-security windows. Compact disks are made with aluminum and acrylic, although the chemical mix in CDs is more resitant to cracking, acrylic is still unforgiving when it comes to tooling.

Both attract dust from surface layer friction. So as long as you don't dry polish it it won't suck the dust out of the air.

Breadfan said:
Just wondering where is a good local source for Lexan?

I keep forgetting that you live near me (sorta). The Home depot out near me has a pretty good selection of Lexan (in Sterling off of Route 7)

Or just check the phonebook for plastics shops. They can get you smallish pieces for next to nothing.

Ah, I just enjoyed reading your sticky the other day. :)

I learned through experience recently that using plexi (at least stealing it from a clear picure frame) doesn't work very well with a dremel ... :) -- Paul

I'm thinking about using plain plexi (can get it free from my brothers work) for a cdrom window mod and for a mini window mod) on my folding (currently on vacation) rig. Will it be hell with a dremel?

diggingforgold said:
I'm thinking about using plain plexi (can get it free from my brothers work) for a cdrom window mod and for a mini window mod) on my folding (currently on vacation) rig. Will it be hell with a dremel?
plexi (acrylic) melts and cracks really easily and is just plain miserable to tool.

Even at a low dremel speed, it melts extremely quickly and tends to clump up around the cut. (In the same boat of looking for cheap lexan.) -- Paul

*edit* Wow, I must have posted this at the same time as you, FattyMcNastyXK. :) */edit*

if it clumps up and stuff like plastic (example: my front case door) then i can just flick it off or cut it off and it won't matter because I'm going to do the thing where I don't use molding, just silicone it on the back of the door.

Maybe so ...

In my (limited) experience, it doesn't just clump up, but also melts into the surrounding plexi. There's also some of that typical white discoloration.

Honestly, the best way to cut plexi (AFAIK) is probably with a straight edge and knife with repeated slices, then breaking it off.

-- Paul

Back