• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canterwood Benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats asks me to log in to see the pictures...but from reading some guys post below it seems the canterwood met expectations :)

Welp, I bit the bullit and registered with t-break so's I could give you bros the goods. Here is the samdra mem breakdown:

875 "Canterwood" dual 400 - "4975"
875 "Canterwood" dual 333 - "3376"
655 "SIS" dual 400 - "3432"
845 "PE" single 200 - "2999"

WOW! running at its stock setting of dual 400 gives a whopping 4975. Dang! Just think what we'll get when we oc this bad boy?
Sign me up for some Canterwood action!!!

I'm not sure what the big improvement is supposed to be. Although they didn't compare it to the obvious competion, Granite Bay, I don't see what it is doing that GB won't. I've seen numbers like that from high FSB GB rigs, then only drawback being stability being a bit of a problem at 200fsb. But as the reviewer noted stability was an issue at 200fsb on the Canterwood, it sounds eerily familiar...

In all fairness though, he didnt have an 800mhz chip...so what really isnt stable (hey...i'm not claiming to knwo it all but still)

He had better than a 200fsb chip, he had an unlocked P4. The cpu is not the problem, it ran stabily on the 845PE at 200fsb. The exclusion of GB from the comparison cuts the heart out of the report.

larva said:
I'm not sure what the big improvement is supposed to be. Although they didn't compare it to the obvious competion, Granite Bay, I don't see what it is doing that GB won't. I've seen numbers like that from high FSB GB rigs, then only drawback being stability being a bit of a problem at 200fsb. But as the reviewer noted stability was an issue at 200fsb on the Canterwood, it sounds eerily familiar...

There is supposed to be a special mem "turbo" mode via bios and the southbridge is supposed to be the first new intel ICH5 which will give "true" SATA speeds of 150mb per sec. The SATA we have in the recent boards are nothing more than ATA 100 or 133 that have a SATA plug in. So...you may have a real SATA drive but it is being choked by the 100-133 ATA southbridge (ICH4) and you are in reality only getting info transfer speeds of about 80-90 mbs per sec. The 100-133 ATA is only a paper figure. Yeah, I know sucks...kinda like buying a 21" monitor and only getting 19.4" visible.

krag said:

There is supposed to be a special mem "turbo" mode via bios and the southbridge is supposed to be the first new intel ICH5 which will give "true" SATA speeds of 150mb per sec. The SATA we have in the recent boards are nothing more than ATA 100 or 133 that have a SATA plug in. So...you may have a real SATA drive but it is being choked by the 100-133 ATA southbridge (ICH4) and you are in reality only getting info transfer speeds of about 80-90 mbs per sec. The 100-133 ATA is only a paper figure. Yeah, I know sucks...kinda like buying a 21" monitor and only getting 19.4" visible.

Intel did beef up the bus to the southbridge, there just isn't any evidence this pays off in any significant way. The VIA and SiS chipsets have had this improvement for some time now, but exhibit no performance benefit as a result.

SATA doesn't make a difference at present. And only the sorry PCI implementations of VIA and SiS are limiting you to 80-90 MB/s. Intel chipsets pass 107-110MB/s in practice, so the UDMA 100 transfer rate is very close to realized. As the best IDE drives burst just over 80MB/s at present, this is plenty.

There will be a day when drives are fast enough for SATA to be a real benefit. We will all be a few mb's down the road by then, so I can't get too concerned about it at present. Besides, there is no logic in spending 250 bucks for a motherboard in the hopes that it will last forever. Buy the best 125 dollar motherboard now, and another when it is mandated and shows marked improvement.

Yep, its gonna be a pricey board but it will be a better performer if only by a slim margine over the GB setup but.....I am an overclocker and....I like to upgrade so.....I MUST HAVE IT! heh! Thats pretty much the only justification I need to get it. (mmmm, I wonder what I can tell the ol' lady this time?) ;)

Well I've been waiting to upgrade from a TH7II, so I guess this may be the one.:) I'm sick and tired of under volting!

I also have 2 TH7II's and am watching another one on ebay. i think i'll wait and get a canterwood instead also even though i don't want DDR.
Seems to me we should see 10%+ increase in performance over 533fsb chips compared to 800fsb chips while coupled with a Canterwood MB with DDR400.

I just got screwed on Ebay bought a TH7II raid that turned out to not be raid. The guy dosn't return emails now!:mad:

Back