• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu heatsink mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liss

hmmmmmmmm..
yea.. so i plan on removing the 2 heatsinks from the mosfets and regulators..

then lengthen them with wire.. and reattaching them onto a single (hsf) outside of the psu enclosure.

any problems with that?

Lots if it's the heatsink on the high voltage side (next to the big cylindrical electrolytic capacitors) -- got to worry tons about exposed high voltage on the transistors.

But even if it's the heatsink for the low voltage components, could moving it outside cause wild oscillations in any feedback circuits?

BE VERY CAREFUL

I did this and blew one of the things up. cut my arm and almost got in my eye. make sure you have NO METAL TOUCHING THE TRANSISTORthingies.

May i ask why? I'm not trying to stop you, just wondering what would drive you to do this?

If you have to ask a question like this then it would be foolish to attempt it.

Liss....

I am sure your familer with bladerunners work @ ZEROFANZONE

psuwiressmall.jpg

enermax3asmall.jpg

You will have to insulate the wires (ie heatshrink tubing) very well. and the backs of the mosfets are mettalic. Most heatsinks have an active ground. I found that out the hard way.

bladerunner reported have no power difficulties doing this mod. I did email him a while back about the PSU he stated that there was an aditional modification because there was an other device getting warm. Proberly a coil.

what PSU are you modding? are you watercooling?

I would want both the water block and its radiator to be grounded to earth.

Is it really safe to rely on nothing but those thin pieces of rubber to insulate the high voltage transistors? I had an ancient PSU that used 3mm thick white ceramic pieces to insulate its high voltage transistors from their heatsink, and that was an air-cooled heatsink that didn't come close to touching any other metal.

Ct. Strangelove said:
Liss....

I am sure your familer with bladerunners work @ ZEROFANZONE

psuwiressmall.jpg

enermax3asmall.jpg

You will have to insulate the wires (ie heatshrink tubing) very well. and the backs of the mosfets are mettalic. Most heatsinks have an active ground. I found that out the hard way.

bladerunner reported have no power difficulties doing this mod. I did email him a while back about the PSU he stated that there was an aditional modification because there was an other device getting warm. Proberly a coil.

what PSU are you modding? are you watercooling?

Wow!!! Nice work dude !!! I really like to see how neat you cover the cables with heatshrink tube. Good Job !!! By the way, Liss if you want to do the same mod, make sure you need to insulate all the cables very well and thick. We are talking 200VDC - 400VDC in some rectifier diode IC.

Back