• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a PC for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sk-

My friend gave me a budget of 700 bucks to build him a system. He doesnt know anything about computer hardware so if something goes wrong its my booty. SO I want a stable computer but also a computer that will run games pretty well. I was thinking about getting him the ATI Radeon 9500pro but even though the drivers are much improved he still doesnt trust ATI so my only choice is Nvidia for a 3d card.

AMD Athlon XP 2100+/266 FSB Thoroughbred Processor CPU 2100+/ 1.73GHz Retail
SOLTEK Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/ Athlon/Duron Model# SL-75DRV5 - RETAIL
Corsair Value RAM 512 PC2700 DDR ram
WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB
VGA CHAINTECH GEFORCE4 TI4600 128MB VGA & TV-OUT, DVI OUT. RETAIL BOX
BLACK CHIEFTEC Server Workstation Tower DX-01BD w/Plastic Front Cover and ACRYLIC WINDOW w 450watt PSU
SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2
COOLER MASTER TLF-R82 (TLF-R82-E1) ( Blue )Neon L.E.D. Fan. Size: 80 x 80 x 25 mm.

= 670.50

He wont overclock or play with the bios in anyway. He is what some people would say AOL fan boy.

shoot thanks.

I knew I forgot something

Do you think I could use my 300watt Sparkle PSU for that system?

ok I had to get rid of the Geforce4 ti4600 because it was too expensive and I replaced it with a Asus ti4200 128MB. Also I got rid of the Audigy 2 and got the regular Audigy1

I added Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW Model LTR-48246SBlack and LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16X DVD ROM Drive - OEM48X

final price came out to a even 700

Great. :)

Reading the soundcard section seems to put me off Creative a lot, but that system seems good for his use. I don't know how much the Audigy will cost you but pulling that out and getting a Philips or other card will get you enough spare cash to get a keyboard and mouse, and if you are lucky, a few blank CD-r's as well.

The only thing i can guess you are missing is:

Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
Heatsink (for CPU)
Power Cable
Operating System. ;)

Power:
I run 2 HDD's (10 gig and 60 gig), 2 optical drives, a P4, a mobo, a floppy, USB keyboard, mouse etc, off a 300W psu, but i guess i might be running into trouble.

Cjwinnit said:
Great. :)

Reading the soundcard section seems to put me off Creative a lot, but that system seems good for his use. I don't know how much the Audigy will cost you but pulling that out and getting a Philips or other card will get you enough spare cash to get a keyboard and mouse, and if you are lucky, a few blank CD-r's as well.

The only thing i can guess you are missing is:

Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
Heatsink (for CPU)
Power Cable
Operating System. ;)

Power:
I run 2 HDD's (10 gig and 60 gig), 2 optical drives, a P4, a mobo, a floppy, USB keyboard, mouse etc, off a 300W psu, but i guess i might be running into trouble.

If you look in his list, he's getting a Retail Athlon, so he's gonna just use the included heatsink. Maybe you should check out a more reliable and stable brand of motherboard... I've never had any luck at all with Soltek boards

you could run a 300W psu on it I guess, but only if you had to....I think that's just asking for trouble later on down the road though =) downgrade to a 2000+ cpu or settle for PC2100 RAM (aol fan boy won't notice the difference I figure) and spend the extra dough on a 350W psu or higher....

WEll I am selling him my Corsair ram so I gotta.

He has a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers/power cable and windowsXP pro

I will try to look into a cheaper case and get a 350 or 400 psu. I would get a different sound card be he specifically said Creative.

I am thinking maybe I should sell him my Geforce4 Ti4200 and the ram for 200 bucks. I think thats a good deal right?

sk- said:
WEll I am selling him my Corsair ram so I gotta.

He has a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers/power cable and windowsXP pro

I will try to look into a cheaper case and get a 350 or 400 psu. I would get a different sound card be he specifically said Creative.

I see.

Selling him your stuff: look on the internet and see how much the stuff you want to sell him would cost new (without shipping). Then charge him 70% of the new price (less if he is a good friend).

CORSAIR MEMORY 512MB PC2700 VALUE SELECT. DDR RAM - OEM = 75
ASUS V9280TD Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB 128 bit AGP 8X TV-OUT & DVI RETAIL = 147

= 222 shipped

He is a OK friend, met him last year in college but I dont feel the need to lower the price dramtically.

OK this is what I am looking at to what I should be putting together.

EPOX Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model #EP-8K9A
AMD Athlon XP 2100+/266 FSB Thoroughbred Processor CPU 2100+/ 1.73GHz -Retail
CORSAIR MEMORY 512MB PC2700 VALUE SELECT. DDR RAM - OEM
WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL
ASUS V9280TD Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB 128 bit AGP 8X TV-OUT & DVI RETAIL
Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW Model LTR-48246SBlack OEMBuffer
LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK- OEM
SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/KEB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Chenming ATX-301KB-B-0-450W Mini-Tower Case Black

= 707.99shipped from newegg.com. I already have the ram and video card so the final price will be 22 dollars cheaper, it will be 687.

Last edited:
Your original motherboard choice is right on the money...I have always been a Soltek fan since my first SL-75DRV5...The ONLY motherboard's that I have personal experience with that have never given me any problems out of no less than 15 Soltek boarded box's I have built...Put one together for a friend last week using the SL-75FRN2. Not one problem, no issues, nothing, fired right up, rock solid stability...Nothing like my Asus A7N8X Deluxe...Liked it so much I bought one for myself...Same thing assembled the box...Turned it on, loaded XP, drivers...rock solid stability...Waiting on some memory because the only thing I have is some PC2700 Kingston Value Ram that I had to buy to deal with the Corsair XMS PC3200LL twin pack memory for nForce 2 motherboards...GRRRRR...For 89.00 including 2nd day shipping at googlegear you cant beat it with a bat...;)Also I would recommend you looking at the Toshiba DVDROM's over the Lite-On...Much quieter...for the couple duckies extra a much better choice...:)

I rekon he should stick with the lite on , I have one myself , and they're not too loud , but they are ROCK SOLID when using clone cd , I have never had any probs using my liteon dvd and liton cdrw ,using them together for 3 months and they go over copy protection like It was never even there.
Of course, I only ever use them to make backups of games which I legeally own and which I have a right to do under Irish copyright law ;) . but then again , this guy may not need to do that.

All The Best
Dancing_Priest

I agree with Hookem!

Use nForce 2 - it is the best! It even beats KT400A (!!!).
Go Asus A7N8X or Abit NT7-S if you want maxspeed by auto or by fine tuning ( I love Abit, although I have build around 6 systems on ASUS basis) MSI is silly and Gigabyte is TOO silly. Epox might be risky as they are known for building lots of chipset mixes( and since there are a lot of motherboard versions, it can be tough with the new BIOS updates) :)

Also, you might be interested in buying two 256 blocks inspite of one 512 for a DualDDR. NVidia recommends buying 2x256 DDR400 cl2.5-3 and running them @ 333 cl2 for maximal perfomance.

You can get rid of Geforce 4200 and go radeon 9500 PRO.

Also, note that there is a new model from Seagate on the market ( and Seagate drives are well-known for their worlds best reliability) with 7200, 3D defence System, SoftSonic (2.5 sone) motor, and 8MB cache. In case of ABit you can buy a Serial ATA version and use an integrated S-ATA controller.

If your case will be black - I would recommend you buying a Pioneer DVD drive (although I am a Liton fan too) just because it is available in black).

And the rest (but not least) be sure to buy a T-bred as it consumes little energy and has more overclocking possibilities.

Back