• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My n00b friend has a crazy idea that i want to know about...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sickofthelies

Disabled
My friend has a Koolance EXOS watercooling system and wants to know how to improve his performance. He wants to OC his xp 1700 LPTC1 (i think thats it) more and thinks that he may somehow be able to use his mini fridge as the reservoir, and then pump it into the back of the case. If this is possible, could someone give a semi-detailed explanation? Thanks!

W00t my first ever ocers.com post!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

and the best place to ask this question would be in the Extreme cooling section they do all crazy stuff with fridges in there, and i think it would involve pulling that mini fridge apart and useing the compressor and other pieces out of it

Have a great day

Hes such a n00b that i do all the dirty work for him, so it would mean i would have to take apart the fridge (for a small price of course ;)) which i really dont feel comfortable doing.

Its probably not that hard i would think there aint a whole lot inside a refridgerater and im sure the boyz in the Extreme section would give you detailed instuctions and guide you through the process =)

Okay, well, taking apart the refrigerator is besides the point. Im just asking, would it somehow be possible to have the Exos thing on the top be pumped from a reservoir in a refrigerator ~4 feet below. Then, what i think would happen, is it runs down into the preinstalled pump on the EXOS in the case, goes through the tubing in the case and then back ito the fridge, where the process starts all over.

Thanks again!

If you do it, make sure to get a good pump. It really isn't the best idea to pump the water too much vertically.

BTW, do I know you from somewhere ;)

Yes, im from gamefaqs! I have the same name there, and yours looks familiar to! Man, this place is great. None of my questions ever got answered on gamefaqs cuzz im just too 1337 for them.

I think im going to want to get 2 pumps, preferably cheap, so that if one breaks, another will still be going strong.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/mcp300pumex.html

Is that a good pump? Or can i get something cheaper, and better, elsewhere?

Seems decent, but you probably don't need 2. That said 2 would probably have a better flowrate, but also add more heat to the water.

I agree that gamefaqs was good, but I just outgrew it.

Except for kunaak and such.

eh, getting out of my league.

I'll leave this to the people that really know watercooling.

Later man.

This place is great.

i think peeps have good luck with the hydor's. popular brands around here are the eheim, via aqua, maxi-jet, dolphin. ive personally used little giant, beckett, and pondmaster pumps. all of these are good it just depends on what you need. look at the GPH, the wattage, and the head specs when shopping for pumps and try and find one that works for you.
as for the fridge, yea check the extreme cooling forum here. ive seen where peeps just put the res and the radiators inside the fridge, no real dissasembly. im kinda thinkin of doin that myself.

The_jizzler:

Sweet, thanks for the great info. Ive heard that Eheims are really expensive though, and that the Agua performs the best but doesnt really have as well as good an established name as Hydor or Eheim does. Has Agua become better known? Also, im really looking for somehting not too expensive, and ive heard thats where the Hydor comes in. Thanks.

no that crazy of an idea, but the generl consensus is that the compressor from a mini fridge will die eventually because it's not supposed to be running 24/7, it's designed to cool an area, and then turn off when it's cool enough.

Generally, AC power, meaning it gets plugged into the wall. There are relays you can buy to have the pump turn on and off with the computer.

Stay away from via aqua pumps. They are usually sold as being inline pumps, but they are actually submersible only (the entire pump must be under water). Their reliability is questionable as inline pumps, and I haven't heard anything about it from someone running it submerged.

Did Maxi-jet get the boot on this forum?? It seems via aqua has replaced maxi-jet whenever someone thinks of mentioning a cheap pump.

Back