• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling included w/future Intels???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Just something that poped into my head while I was reading the forums (about a guy trying to get his Celerom 2.2A to 4GHz w/air). Anyway, does anyone think Intel will ever start to ship watercooling kits with future CPUs? I'm talking like, 7-10 years from now.

I certainly do, as I think it'll become nessessary. Sure, watercooling is expensive now, but just look at how fast the fan+heatsink coolers went obsolete!

Anyway. Give an answer and an explanation why :).

C.P.

Last edited:
Well sure, but the P4s I've had experiance with seem to run pretty warm at the default speed with the stock heatsink :rolleyes:

Celeron_Phreak said:
Well sure, but the P4s I've had experiance with seem to run pretty warm at the default speed with the stock heatsink :rolleyes:
they dont care as long as its within limits, and the system doesnt reboot constantly.;)

i computer tech told me once that he only uses intel products in his computers simply for stability.

i think that air is still well in limits, concidering i have a celly 2.2 overclocked to 2.93GHz and it runs nicely with a clothes dryer duct and an external case fan for cool air intake. Air has no limits, maybe someday intel will use water but i doubt it because of it's unreliability, give a plastic water pump 2 years of service and you may be in for a leak. AIR IS THE BEST WAY TO GO!

Celeron_Phreak said:
....but just look at how fast the fan+heatsink coolers went obsolete!

What? They're obsolete? How come I didn't know about this?!? Why didn't someone tell me??? Why didn't someone tell the 20+ companies out there who are still making heatsinks??? Ahhhh!!!

I'm sure Intel has looked into watercooling their processors. But currently there is no pressing need and not enough benefit to justify the costs of watercooling.

The first watercooled products would probably be server chips. Massive caches mean more heat; and they're expensive enough that watercooling would be practical to develop.

I think it would scare away a lot of mainstream, joe sixpack - computer users. Watercooling requires a lot more maintenance and care than air cooling does.

there are some prototype laptops that have a type of watercooling that never needs maintinance. it operates kinda like a heatpipe i think. Maybe you'll see something like that down the road, but I bet you'll never see watercooling like we have it now stock.

JD- as for 90nm making it cooler, this is true, but the increased gate density shrinks the area of heat dissipation. Also, the newer chips have more transistors which produce heat, and (of course) they run at higer clock speeds, which also increases heat produced.
________
VAPORIZER

Last edited:
seamadan000 said:
there are some prototype laptops that have a type of watercooling that never needs maintinance. it operates kinda like a heatpipe i think. Maybe you'll see something like that down the road, but I bet you'll never see watercooling like we have it now stock.

JD- as for 90nm making it cooler, this is true, but the increased gate density shrinks the area of heat dissipation. Also, the newer chips have more transistors which produce heat, and (of course) they run at higer clock speeds, which also increases heat produced.
guess we will have to wait and see. i cant wait for prescott.

jdmcnudgent said:
i cant wait for prescott.
That makes two of us. I think I'm going to skip this whole Canterwood/Springdale movement and wait for those 90 nm chips to arrive! :)

Maybe for you, but I doubt I'd notice any difference if I upgraded right now.

Isn't HP experimaneting with water cooling

making a liquid spray for the CPU's using the same tech the printers use to dispence ink

I will see if I can find the artical and talk to a HP employee friend see if he knows anything

I saw that article. It was on overclockers.com. I think it was called "robopeeing" or something.

Back