• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get to 166fsb PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnycompbuilder

Registered
Hey running a 2000+xp tb currently @ 1.897 (11.5/165) on an asus a7v8x MB i run 2 sticks of crucial 2700 ram (512mb chips) a gfroce4 ti4800, Cant get the friggin thing to hit 166fsb heard the ram doesent operate well at anything but stock timings so im goign to switch those back to default and see if itll go higher then, maybe pump a little more voltage to the ram and deffinately more voltage to the processor if it needs it currently at 1.80, ill take it as high as 1.9 if anyone has suggestions as to what i can do to take this thing higher please help me!

true, didnt see it was a tbred, set it to 11x166 and use the 1/5 divider option in the bios, that outa do it. that will give you 1.83Ghz.

Maybe the key is in your memory timings? If its real 2700 it shouldn't be the problem in reaching 166fsb. Since the kt400 normally has a 1/5 pci divider, I'd look for that and turn it on. In my case, my kt400 EpoX does it automaticly (kinda sucks). I'd almost assume that its on since 165/4 is 41.25 mhz through the pci bus. Hardware can sometimes fry in the 30's.

If you happen to have your memory at its fasetest settings, I don't think a few fsb mhz would really be worth easing back on the timings (or at least both will be equal). I'll also assume that 'stock timings' means not the slowest (nor fastest) timings. Relaxing your timings as much as possible from 'stock' might be worth the 1 or 2 fsb mhz you get. Kinda depends on the application.

Edit: 2 things. My kt400 seems to give my memory a bit less volts than it shows (-0.04v), so a voltage bump might help. The other thing is that tbreds rarely [never?] need over 1.8volts to hit 1.9ghz - the newer tb-b's are getting past 2ghz on less than 1.6volts. Unless thats a tbred-a, I highly doubt you need 1.8volts, let alone 1.9volts. A system is only as strong [fast] as its weakest link, and pumping up the other parts won't do much good.

Last edited:
Yeah it is actually a tbird A and im running 1.9v to it, i dotn know where to find the 1/5 divider your talking baout but if it helps my settings say 11.0X174/34 btw i did lower the multi and raise the fsb might try lowering it more and upping hte fsb more

Your motherboard does not let you change the PCI divider separately from the FSB speed. When you selected 174/34, that included the 1/5 PCI divider (174FSB /5 = 34.8PCI). I don't know how high your memory will run, but you can certainly try lowering the multiplier and raising the FSB speed even more.

Just raised it im at 182 now, running prime 95 now........im wondering how high the fsb will go, anyone have any idea?

Back