• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

analog/digital help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catdog

Registered
my lcd came with an anolog and a digital cord. tried them both and saw no difference. what is the difference and which sould i use for gaming(the best and why ) ty.

If your video card has a DVI outlet, that is what you should use.

Here's the shakedown. Every computer video card ever made actually generates a digital signal. But CRT monitors are analog, so for years that digital signal was converted to an analog signal and sent through a VGA cable to the monitor.

When LCD's began appearing a couple of years ago there were very few video cards that had an outlet for a digital signal. So to reach the broadest possible market, every LCD on the market had a VGA connector and an internal processor to convert the signal back to digital. Most are still that way today.

That's the history lesson. What this means is that if you are using a VGA cable with your LCD monitor you are converting a digital signal to analog for the trip through the VGA cable, and then back to digital to be displayed on the screen. Every time you convert the signal you get some degridation. On some monitors you can't tell the difference, but some models show a clear difference in picture quality and shadowing between using a VGA and a DVI input signal.

Personally, I'd use the DVI. But if you don't see a difference it doesn't matter.

BHD

Back