• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kernel 2.5.66 boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpw2atox

Ok so I just compiled my 2.5.66 kernel.
I used make menuconfig, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install and then make install.

When i boot I get to mounting /proc and it gives me an error saying unable to mount vfs and says that root=LABEL=/ isn't valad and I need to append it and give root= a valad path. The thing is the current 2.4.20 kernel uses the same information.
Here is my config file.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hde1
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
boot=/dev/hde
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.5.66)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.5.66 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.5.66.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

see I thought about that also but the weird things is that this configuration works for the 2.4.20-8 kernel. Do you have any idea why I am having this problem? I think I just didn't select everything I needed when I configured the kernel. I know this weeor occurs right after the proc system was loaded. I am currently working on the 2.5.67 kernel now incase this was just a bug with 2.5.66 and will report my findings. Currently I have an error with 2.5.67 sating my hard drive which is hde has a lost interupt. That drive is on my highpoint 372 controller and is the only drive on there. Any ideas how to fix either of these problems? Thanks for the help. If you wanna IM me then send an IM to dpw2atox.

Back