• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is going on ? Problems with EMIII and Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoopa_man

Lately when I start my PC EMIII hasn't started folding...It just sits there with the protein name and what i've folded so far but never starts folding again. It just sits there doing nothing. It worked fine before, Now it seems like I have to start EMIII a random amount of times before it will start folding. I've let it sit for as long as 20 minutes and it still does nothing and i've tried restarting it as many as 6 times before it's started folding. What's going on ?

On another note i've been trying to get a second pc on my network to fold as well and I'm running into the same problem. Neither rig will start folding. I've tired on the other pc with both EMIII and the [email protected] and neither will actually start folding..they just sit there doing nothing.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just Stanford’s servers being down ???

second question on my network setup...
Should I set the other pc on my network to Machine ID 1 or should it be 2 ? Ultimately i'd like to use EMIII to monitor both pc's from my main rig...I've got to get them both to fold again first.

Thanks for the help.

Machine ID is just for more instances running on the same box. What happens when you start it manually? what does it show in the console? EM3 can only start the folding program that is on the same box as EM3 is running on so you are going to have to start the one on the other box by putting the .exe in to the start up folder. once you get back about what is in the console when you start it by hand we will be able to help you more:D Fold on!!!

Ok...clears up the machine ID and that's what i though...so there both at ID 1 and I have been seting up EMIII correctly. So that's not an issue.

I can't even get it to start foling when i start it manualy. It shows the projct i'm on
says Entering M.D.
Starting from check point.
protien:p542_bba5_n in water

writing local file
Completed 55000 out of 500000 steps <11%>

That's it just sits there....If I use EMIII to start it nothing happens...that's what i get from the console if I try to use that....what's going on here ? it just frezes up and never starts folding again from where it left off. I'll try to post a screen shot if it will fit.

Pick of what it's doing...here's all it does. just let it sit for about five minutes at least. this is as far as it ever got. It use to take right off. I don't know what's up.

fold.jpg

My rig in my sig will do that one about one frame per about 8 minutes. So it could take a little longer than that. Have you just left it alone for an hour and looked to see if it is on the same frame? If it is I would shut it down and delete the queue and the work folder and restart it. Good luck:D

According to your log, it also appears that the sse optimizations have been shut off by the f@h client ("Going to use standard loops"). To get these turned back on, try the -forceasm switch, but make sure that you rig is stable before doing this or the optimizations will just be shut right off again. Even if you have to back your overclock down a bit, it will still help out a lot.

Go to this thread to read more on this. Gnerma's Gromacs Guide is also linked from there - a very good source of info. You will see much better frame times with this.

Orangebug

Kendan thanks. I tired letting it sit there for about 20 minutes and still no progress...so I went in and deleted the work folder and allowed the client to pull a new WU from the server. Now it seems to be working just fine. I don't know why but it seemed to be stuck not wanting to work on that WU. Deleting the work folder seemed to clear up what ever issue was there...Thanks so much, this was so frustrating. You were a huge help.

I'll be sure to check out Gnerma's guide to speed things up. I know that checking the box for -advmethods in EMIII is suppose to speed up you folding times. I'll have to check out his article on some more tips to speed up my rig a bit. My AMD rig is rock stable right now so i'll have to figure out how to add the -forceasm switch. I've never added switches before so i'll have to learn how.

Thanks again for all the help.

zoopa ;)

Here is what the should looks like, or there abouts.

f@hAsse-ops.gif

On your desktop shortcut, right click, then properties then add the -forceasm there tag.
f@hforceasm.gif

Hope these help you.

Fold-eth on :)

I got the -forceasm to work on the console. I usualy use EMIII to start it for me...is there a way I can get EMIII to add that flag for me when it starts up the folding process ???

will this do what I want it to ? I've added the -forceasm to the flags to use. I'm not sure if its working or not...there's really no way to tell as EMIII dosn't show the console window.

launch.jpg

Had to edit this a million times...ran out of web space on my road runner account....I got it working like It should now I think :rolleyes: ...Thanks for all the help....Hopefully i'm folding a little bit faster now and giving team 32 some more output !! That's always a good thing...Thanks a million for all your help everyone.

Last edited:
Back