• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S 2.0 + GF4-TI4200 + Det Drivers Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Forgive me if this has been covered before. I could not find any relavent threads addressing this problem.

I just received my NF7-S Rev 2.0 board and did a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro W/SP2. I then downloaded and installed the Win2k NF7S 2.00 drivers from the ABIT site. All my peripherals were recognized and appropriate (I think) drivers were installed, except for my GF4-TI4200 graphics board. It works fine with the default VGA 16 color 800x600 support native to Windows 2000, but when I try to install any of the Nvidia Detonator drivers, Windows 2000 starts but bombs quickly and the system restarts until I go in under SAFE mode and uninstall the drivers. This graphics card has worked flawlessly in VIA based motherboards. I am currently not overclocking either the motherboard or graphics card. I have SATA disabled in the bios.

Since I only did the Windows 2000 clean install yesterday, I have not downloaded DirectX from the MS site yet. Is that the issue holding up the Det driver working?

Any other ideas why having a Det driver installed causes Windows 2000 to abort so quickly?

Thanks

Hoot

Not having DX 8 or 9 installed shouldn't have any problems with the Nvidia drivers. I just did a clean install a few weeks ago on my W2K Pro and installed the 40.72's without updating DX first.

How many different drivers have you tried to install...and have you tried any of the 40's just to make sure?

BTW - I run a GF3 Ti200 and 8RDA+, not sure if this will relate since you run a GF4 Ti4200 and a NF7-S...You might of found a new issue...

ADDED: I am using the W2K 2.00 NForce Drivers also...

Haven't had troubles like that with my Radeon, but I'm using the Unified 2.03 drivers. Those may be worth a driver, since nVidia did make some fixes between the 2.00 and 2.03 releases. If your not opposed to an OS upgrade, you might want to give WinXP w/ SP1 a run for the money also. I was stuck on Win2k for a long time before finally making the switch to WinXP - SP 1 firmed it up pretty good...

I was originally running WinXP SP1 until the migrastion to the new motherboard. Going from the VIA chipset to the NF2 chipset, my WinXP would not work, hence the clean install. I plan on moving back to WinXP as soon as the opportunity, to go through all the gyrations of another OS install, presents itself.

Hoot

Hoot said:
Forgive me if this has been covered before. I could not find any relavent threads addressing this problem.

I just received my NF7-S Rev 2.0 board and did a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro W/SP2. I then downloaded and installed the Win2k NF7S 2.00 drivers from the ABIT site. All my peripherals were recognized and appropriate (I think) drivers were installed, except for my GF4-TI4200 graphics board. It works fine with the default VGA 16 color 800x600 support native to Windows 2000, but when I try to install any of the Nvidia Detonator drivers, Windows 2000 starts but bombs quickly and the system restarts until I go in under SAFE mode and uninstall the drivers. This graphics card has worked flawlessly in VIA based motherboards. I am currently not overclocking either the motherboard or graphics card. I have SATA disabled in the bios.

Since I only did the Windows 2000 clean install yesterday, I have not downloaded DirectX from the MS site yet. Is that the issue holding up the Det driver working?

Any other ideas why having a Det driver installed causes Windows 2000 to abort so quickly?

Thanks

Hoot

after i red it this morning and since i had my new NF7-S rev2 still out for testing I decided to pop in my Msi GF4 Ti4200 grafka to check out nvidia drivers but with winxp sp1

I installed detonator 43.30 & 43.45 & DirX 9a

(but I cleaned out all the old driver in registry also before installing the next)

I looped it 30x with3dM

I also tested it with GF3

No Problems!

nctramp

Abit NF7-S 2.0 2100+ (0302) 200x10.5 Silver Chieftek 2x512 cprsair 3500 Antec Enermax 435 Msi Gf4 Ti4200 2 x 120 WD JB o/Sata Aopen DVDRW Pionerr dvd SLK800/Mechantronics

Last edited:
Problem solved!

I was trying to use 30.82, which ran fine on my VIA motherboards and yielded the fastest performance with my particular brand of GF4 TI4200. Thanks to a tip on the ABIT forums, I downloaded and installed the latest 43.45 from Nvidia and it works fine now.

Hoot

Back