• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suck or Blow? Slk800 and TT Smart fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kraze98nyc

Registered
running my fan at ~4100rpm 41deg under load both ways... (I think)

should I push air onto or pull it away from the heatsink?

Thanks,

Rob

I agree it should blow. The only HS that I have used that pulls air is the Alpha PAL8942. It definitely works better pulling air through it.

LA

have the fans blow down onto the heasink. the slk800 is not designed to have a fan suck air off, so you will get better temps if it blows.

Popular topic.

This and most every heatsink is designed to have air blown down onto it... the only one designed to have air sucked off of it, AFAIK, is an Alpha heatsink that had a shroud that forced the air to be drawn from closer to the base of the heatsink.

Regardless of that, there is occasionally someone who says they get better temps from sucking with their heatsink... this might be due to multiple factors, which may depend on the way their cases are set up.

The easy solution is to try both sucking and blowing while running F@H or prime95 to load your cpu and then see which gets the best temps after 20 minutes. blow, 20 minutes, check temps. suck, 20 minutes, check temps. Turn off your pc before you change the direction on your fan. ;)

For many topics, you can find answers by using the forum search button on the top right of every page.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I found when I was using the PAL8942 that sucking was better by about 3 degrees. But thats the only one I know of that works better. My SLK 900 works much better by blowing air through it.

LA

Back