• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOINC beta test suspended

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well that stinks to say the least. BOINC is the DC system created by Berkeley. It will be the way the next phase of Seti is operated, as well as other DC projects.

It's more of an open framework with which different projects can be snapped in if that makes sense. Rather than being like the current seti and folding projects which are geared towards their respective goals entirely, boinc is a dc model that provides the skeleton with which different projects can be run. So ultimately there will be Seti 2 running under boinc, and perhaps many other unrelated projects, some similar to folding or atomic research, or whatever someone wants to do is possible.

I highly doubt that, but then again I have no idea what the issue is. I'm still running it and the server is still dishing out units and giving me credit.

Form BOINC main page

April 9, 2003
Due to a legal issue, we are suspending the BOINC beta test, and we have requested that BOINC source code no longer be available at Sourceforge.net. We hope to resolve this issue soon.

From BOINC newsgroup
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:33:50 -0500
Original Message

Dear BOINC beta-testers:
A legal issue has arisen that prevents us from continuing the BOINC beta test at this point. I can't discuss the details, but I hope that the issue will be resolved soon.
Please stay tuned.
-- David Anderson

Seems that the problem is the source code. By it's very nature BOINC will be open source (or maybe like Linux, under an open license)......anyway, what's suspended is BOINC not Astropulse.

BOINC beta testers:
We hope to have a resolution to the legal situation in slightly over
a month. In the meantime, feel free to switch your computer back to
SETI@home, Folding@home, or your project of choice. Thanks for
bearing with us.

David Anderson

regards
Sir Ulli

Back