• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me i.d. this HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyros

I got a HD from a friend today that they bought at a auction.(they want to sell it to me) Its brand new in a sealed static bag. It has no name brand on it though. heres what it does have.( in no specific order)

GENERIC 7200RPM
AT20GB
3.5 series
SN 120005120307

and the usual jumper map on the sticker. on the back of the drive there is one identifiable chip on the board. heres what it says:

agere
Quantum

and then some numbers. Now the casing does look like a old Quantum Fireball drive I have, but I know this isnt a Fireball. I suspect that maybe its a low line Quantum HD that was sold to pc manufacturers( HP,E-Machine,etc.) to be installed in there systems. Ive not had time to try installing it yet, so I dont know what the bios will i.d. it as.

Any help on what it is or where I may find out would be great.

EDIT: After searching on the maxtor site( they make the Quantum HD's now) The serial number isnt setup like a Quantum serial number is. It actually looks more like a Maxtor SN since it has no letters in it.

Last edited:
Quantum do make drives under other brand names, the Fireball series is popular as is the Atlas, it might be like you said, an OEM disk manufactured by Quantum/Maxtor but with that OEM makes serials on it

One way to find out is to download the diagnostic software from the site, and run it on the drive. It normally will give you a drive identifier.

Good idea I will try that stool. I also figured I might be able to tell something about it by the drivers it uses.

Back