• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which to get KT400 or nforce 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
your probably better off asking this in the amd mobo forum. I don't have an answer, just a heads up.

Nforce 2 for sure.

I have a kt400, but a good freind of mine has basically the same model in nforce 2. I can tell you most defienetly that the nforce 2 is superior.

Heres why

Agp (and possibly pci) lock lets you get the front side bus much higher. He can run at 211fsb, mine craps out at 185.

Dual channel ddr is faster. The arcetechure in general seems faster. I have the same ram and same cpu. When set to run at the same fsb+frequency, his rig stil out benchmarks mine on sandra, pc mark, and just about any memory bandwith benchie.

nforce2 for the AGP/PCI lock, if nothing else.

nforce2 has good onboard sound, superior to many PCI soundcards (depending on the motherboard, actually...look for the "soundstorm" nvidia certification).

nforce2 has dual channel DDR. performance improvement of dual channel DDR is debatable, but it's one more thing that the KT400's don't have.

I splurged on the Asus A7n8x Deluxe. Probably one of the most expensive AMD boards out there right now...but I gotta tell you, I'm VERY pleased.

Nforce 2 is simply the best AMD platform there is, KT400a falls short of it - and I wouldnt be suprised if the KT600 will as well (although that will have the Nforce 2 ultra to worry about)

gahdzila said:
nforce2 has good onboard sound, superior to many PCI soundcards (depending on the motherboard, actually...look for the "soundstorm" nvidia certification).

Actually it's about equivalent to a soundblaster, nothing newer. I understand it has EAX though, which is a first for onboard sound as far as I know. I wouldn't upgrade to the MCP-T just for sound, and the only other things it adds are firewire and serialATA. Until Serial ATA is actually faster (eventual limit over 600m/s) than IDE I don't see the value.

Back