• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Networking Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfunk

D-Link offers variety of cable/dsl routers offering speeds up to 54Mbps (802.11g). My question is what exactly does 54Mbps means? Computer to computer date transfer speed or internet speed from router to wireless pc card?

If it has nothing to with internet speed, I won't bother to upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g

It's the fastest speed the router/switch will transfer ANY data at. It would increase your LAN speed if you also upgrade your wireless NICs, but it will only make surfing the internet faster if your broadband connection is already faster than 11Mbps (802.11b).

FlypSyde said:
but it will only make surfing the internet faster if your broadband connection is already faster than 11Mbps (802.11b).

lol... i wish i could get internet access at that speeds (and not have to pay an arm and a leg either)

So internet surfing speed does not play a role right?

I already have the 802.11b set up but I thought upgrading to a 802.11g would increase my internet speed. If it's just data transfer speed between two computers, I can always carry my computer downstairs for wired connection :)

I guess I'm just used to seeing 100/10 speed when wired connected. Now I just see 22 Mbps

Even though you're wired at 10/100 that doesn't mean you're surfing the internet at that speed. Most broadband internet connections don't even get close to 10Mbps.

Most broad band connections are from 300 K/Bs (.3Mbps I think) to 1.5Mbps.

Upgrading your router will do NOTHING to your internet speed. All it will do is increase your transfer rates to computers on YOUR network. Nothing more.

Only if there was such a thing as 100Mbps internet connection...........

Can you imagine how much that will cost nowadays? My friend pays crazy $150/month for sdsl! That's nuts!

Back