• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer, and Power supply Question, Friend reaching for excuses on a benchmark.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

I am sitting here, talking to my friend, and and here we are wondering who's videocard is faster.

we both have XP 2100's.
epox 8rdas, and Nvidia videocards.

mine is a Ti 4200 64 meg card.
his is a ti4400.

I want to see which one is faster, when at the same speed, default speed of 1.73 and straight same cas latency and everything else, with no overclocks on the videocards at all.
just a straight across test.

now, he's sitting here giving me this thing about "I would need to plu my computer into the same power supply your on, if I was gonna do this"

now heres, why he says this.

he is here from portland.
so obviously he is here in seattle at my place.
well trying to benchmark with his computer, as some speed he previously did successful overclocked benchmarks, he has failed here.
but then again, he barely gave it any time to try it.

so he's saying that his computer is now running alot hotter cause of the plugs in my place.
fine, thats a possible thing.

but not at default.
if the computer is at default, I see no reason why the power plug in the wall, will make his computer unstable.
none at all.
overclocked?
sure maybe, since it needs more voltages and such.
but not when the computer is at default.

I can't imagine how this can possibly make him lose 1000 points on 3dmark, cause thats what he thinks is gonna happen.

he's saying he loses 1000 points, cause of the plugs in my wall.
nothing else.

now, I know there can be bad plugs and such, making it unstable for some reason, but that would have to be a truely bad plug in, to vary the amps on a PC by all that much, plus, I thought a Computers PSU would control the amount of amps reaching the motherboard, CPU and such, again negating his "I lose 1000 points, just by your Power supplyu Plug ins" arguement.

this annoys me, cause I can see it a slightly possible thing under highly overclocked conditions, but not something so drastic as losing 1000 points, just ause he benchmarked here at my place instead of in portland.

otherwise, I think PSU's would have a much larger role in overclocking then they really do.
we all know it's best to have a PSU that gets 12+ on the 12 volt line and such, but to say "I lose 1000 points" just cause of a plug in, is a damn thin excuse for me to believe.
othersie I assume power supplys and wall plug ins would play a much larger role in the general knowlege around overclockers wouldn't it?

anyone here, help me with this?
some sort of proof, cause it seems no matter what I tell him, he's gonna try and relate it to his old experience with RC cars, and then tell me this or that.

I just don't see, a plug in, as making that much of a difference.
I can be wrong, but I just can't see it...

this place isn't a old junk yard, and it's pretty well maintained.
now I can see the plug in as being alittle more, or alittle less power then his at home.
but nothing to indicate what he's getting at.

to me, it can be anything, artic silver losing effectiveness.
the recent removal of a large heatsink from his videocard, and then replacing it, may have not properly put enough thermal paste in necessary areas.
his hard drive, has been getting filled with tons of crap, including about 10 movies, a few hundred songs, new programs and new games, all while here.
I know a clogged hard drive does worse then a nearly empty one, when benchmarking.

plus I know that its very common for 3dmark to vary it's scores by 300 points in any direction, for whatever reason.
you can run the test once, then do it again right after and get a completly different score, getting the exact same score is kinda hard.

heres the biggest gripe I have.

his PC at home he says runs 109 F.
here it runs 116 F.

he thinks this makes his computer lose 1000 Points.

id say someone was a poor looser :)
yeah that plug woudnt cause a loss of 1000 points, if anything its more humid in seattle, but nothing more 116 degrees is still a good running temp, if they were that dependant of temp then we would all be running water cooling or something

my personal opinion is that the manufactor of the card isnt as good, are they both made from the same company?
everyone tells me that my Silurao wasnt a good choice, but it runs like a beast for me, thats all that counts

Since your psu is a regulated power scource and converts to dc any power that is getting out to your system it shouldn't make any difference even if your getting 120 or 110 in the voltage side of it. That said the amperage might vary to some degree because of the higher voltage but with more heat would becaouse of more power and so the trade off should be pretty close. If it's realy an issue take them to somplace nuetral and run the tests, but I think when your friend gets home his temps will be up there to.

Back