• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does chipset deal with fsb only? or the multi as well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

im wondering this, because if it only deals with fsb then a good way to test my friend's board's chipset stability by lowering the multiplier

max

Last edited:
Ok... what? That's not really clear.

Lowering the multiplier to REALLY low, like 5, is a good way to test for max FSB stability. FSB stability can be compromised by the motherboard, the ram, pci devices, and the chipset as well, I suppose.

So anyway, I suppose the answer is yes - lowering the multiplier to a really low number will remove multiplier as a possible cause of instability.

sry for bein unclear
what i meant was that if i lowered the cpu multiplier and ram timings (or put ram at like 50% speed for nforce boards u can adjust that) then the only other factor should be chipset right
cause rite now my friend is at 1.8vdd on his chipset and for some reason at 12x200 and maxed out ram it crashes..

we testing right now at 10x200 and 50% ram speed

max

Lt max i see what your doing,but all testing needs done running 1:1 or synch.

the multi is related to the cpu tho.as it sets the mhz along with the fsb.

but you are doing the high fsb testing correct long as ya go back to synch. asysnch gives false readings on the memory and the chipset.makes it seem it should run that synch but in actuality it wont.

also the only way to test chipset fsb is to make sure you use known ram that will do higher than what your aiming for and run in synch on another mobo preferably.

cpu= 7x200fsb mem=200fsb 2.5-3-3-7 2.9v just a example of some speeds and timings i would use. also make sure everything has a little more voltage than it really needs to eliminate it from giving faulty readings also.

but how your doing it is 100% correct beside the 1:1 issue. i test this way also and max every single part i can like this.cpu,memory,chipset,memory timings. once you do every aspect its much easier to come up with a final stable sweet spot instead of guessing.

Back