• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Entry into the SMP world

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randall

I did a search, to no avail, on some ways to get into the SMP world, yet nothing came up. So here I am, asking, nay, begging, for some help.

I'm looking to find a cheap entrance into SMP and don't know where to start. I don't really have all kinds of cash flowing from my veins, since I'm in college and paying off bills takes priority over creating new ones. Any tips/pointers/advice or any suggestions as to what I should look for? I'll primarily use it, initially, as a web/game server, but I'll probably move on to something newer and better once the whole "financially depressed" stage takes its leave of me.

Thanks for any help you might procure.

My first point of advice is: read, read, then read some more.

The worst thing you can do is jump in without knowing how deep the water is.

SMP machines are somewhat different from single-CPU machines and a good deal more complicated, so read all of the stickies in this section and browse around a LOT.

2CPU.com has some information, although it is not particularly friendly to the SMP newcomer.

Now, you want an SMP system. How much are you willing to spend? That's what it really comes down to. For a dual AMD system, you're probably looking at $300 for the motherboard and CPU's alone. After that, you'll need a strong power supply (preferably 500 watts or more,) a case with good airflow, 2 good heatsinks, a SMP-capable operating system (Win2K, WinXP Pro (not Home Edition), or Linux), and all the rest of the usual computer hardware. A dual Intel P3 system will cost about the same. Dual P3 motherboards are cheaper than dual AMD motherboards, but the actual P3 CPU's are so expensive, they offset the lower motherboard cost. In the end, a dual P3 system is equivalent in price to a dual AMD system. A dual AMD system, however, will FAR outperform a dual P3 system, however, and have more upgrade potential than P3's. The P4 dual chip is the Xeon and they are REALLY expensive and the motherboards are REALLY expensive. Don't even think about that, unless you can lay out $600-1000 just for the CPU's and motherboard.

For the budget-minded, a dual P2 or dual Celeron system, is your cheapest entrance into SMP. Celeron's are only dual-capable up to the 533 MHz chips, however.

You can find cheap dual Celeron and dual P2 motherboards and complete systems on Ebay, but know what you're looking for, before you bid on anything. A lot of SMP'ers start with Ebay. Occasionally, you can find a really good deal on an old server system. Alternatively, you could shop for the specific parts you would like (motherboards and CPU's) and put the system together, yourself. This is far more fun and educating. A good start may be to look for dual motherboards that support P2/P3/Celerons. Buy a board and a pair of old Celerons and you've got your starter system. Get a little more money, later, and you can upgrade to P3's.

As far as bang-for-the-buck, most people would agree that a dual AMD system is a very good value and very good performance, but they are a little expensive on the front end, although not nearly as bad as a dual P4 Xeon system.

Whatever route you take, good luck. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, and WELCOME TO SMP!

I agree on the celeron/p2/p3 route. I bought a motherboard off ebay, and waiting for my ram (that I also bought off ebay) to come in and test it out. I would suggest going to 370 pin socket route, just becuase you can pick up a motherboard for about 40 bucks on ebay, and get some nice 667mhz chips for about 100. SDRAM is pretty cheap, so you could put loads of it in the rig. When funds come around, you could upgrade the cpu's to one ghz ones, and that should give you quite a performance boost. Hope any of that helped, and like cmcquistion, dont hesitate to ask. :)

Aren't there faster P3/370's that he could upgrade it to?? I know a guy on PCExtreme.net's forums who has dual 1.4GHz P3's.. But it might be OC'd, haven't asked yet ;)

yea, but 1.4's are really expensive...About 200 a chip. 733's are about 50-70 a chip. I bet those 1.4's can be overclocked to at least 1.6... Maybe 1.7-1.8 with good cooling. Damn, I wish I had money like that.

I just asked him - They are 1.1GHz OC'd to 1.4GHz with his DangerDen watercooling setup.. I think he is using MAZE3's. Go AMD, save money :) My entire setup of mobo/cpus costs $300 if I bought it again. The proc's (I owned one, one I bought) are about $50 each, and the mobo is $182+S&H.

i too am a SMP newbie and i am setting up a dual p3s system on an IWILL 266u-RN motherboard (supports DDR and tualatin p3's that are 1.26 and 1.4ghz...also supports overclocking)...

i have 2 1.26's and 2 1.4's to test...after i have tested them i could let you have two of them for a decent price if you are interested....i don't know which two i will keep yet...

the iwill board i got off ebay for 125, but there are new ones available for 150...

i got a sparkle/fortron 350 watt power supply (that puts out 454 watts) with one quiet 120 mm fan for 50 bucks and a great full tower Chen Ming Antec case for 50 without power supply....

i got kingston hyperx cas2 pc3000 ddr (2 256's)

i got two 60 gb maxtor 7200rpm hard drives for RAID---only 59 a piece at bestbuy...

Last edited:
Yeah, I looked around at work earlier and found the MSI K7D Master-L (I think that's right) and two XP 2199 TbredB's for about 400 shipped. Not too shabby, though memory and HDD's could make for a pretty hefty investment. I've got a Chieftec server case that has taken my current setup under its wing. I'm hoping to start on this project in June, so hopefully price-cuts and new technology will have prices surrendering to my wallet! Thanks for all the help and the welcome; I think it's going to be a fun and wild ride!

Back