• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kid of insulation will i need over the CPU and GPU of this system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sickofthelies

Disabled
IM going to have a watercooled minifridge system, and i want to know what kind of measures i need to take to prevent condensation on the CPU and GPUs. I want to get the Swiftech MCW50-T Pelt cooler for my GPU, but i just dont know what/where i can get/use to protect them. I have the pipes wrapped in insulation, all i need to protection between the base of the Maze-3 and the MCW5-T and the processors theyre touching.

Thanks.

you should ask this question in the Extreme forum, i heard they are helpfull and condensation is a problem only if you do some "extreme" cooling, thought some people might argue that watercooling a cpu/computer already is extreme cooling.

originally posted by imog
Insulating your rig is really not a very large obstacle. Plan to insulate during a time when you have no other plans and will not be rushed for any reason, and getting it right will be easy.

Supplies:
You need neoprene, dielectric grease. and silicon.

Procedure: fill part of the inside of the socket with dielectric grease. insert a pad of neoprene on top of that to fill most of the area, top off inside socket with dielectric grease. cover back of die area on chip with dielectric grease. insulate the pins with dielectric grease (in holes of socket). cut neoprene to fit pretty snugly around socket. use silicone to adhere it to mobo. fill any gaps between neoprene and socket/mobo with dielectric grease, leave no air. put waterblock on and do the same around that as you did with the socket, leaving no air inside neoprene. leave no pathway, no matter how small, for air to travel from the case to inside the neoprene. take dielectric grease and cover the back of the mobo corresponding to the socket. take a pad of neoprene and adhere it to the mobo over the dielectric grease. leave no gaps for air. be VERY liberal with dielectric grease through the whole process. You shouldn't have any problems if you take your time. that's it. unless i oversited something. :D

Remember the search button is your friend. :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Before you go insulating everything, perhaps you should determine what the dew point is in the room your computer's going to be located in. You may not need to insulate anything, depending on how well a job your fridge does at keeping the water chilled.

Skulemate said:
Before you go insulating everything, perhaps you should determine what the dew point is in the room your computer's going to be located in. You may not need to insulate anything, depending on how well a job your fridge does at keeping the water chilled.

Heh, good point. Thanks, I meant to mention that but forgot. :) He will need to insulate if he uses a TEC... but he may not have to insulate for the fridge chiller.

Back