• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zhoelpqldk

Registered
As most of you have told me before... windows is faster at folding than say *nix. But, and I stress the but, my only computer with a monitor (which resides in my sleeping quarters) is a mac (osx). I'd like to be able to control the windows boxes, but thats impossible to do.

unless... you guys have any ideas. I was used to ssh into my linux box when doing seti@home, but ssh into a windows box? there is no command line.

I was thinking about writing a script to post it on my intranet website, but thats only part of the problem - i want to be able to start up f@h if it were to crash.

j

folding

You can SSH from a windows box with a terminal emulator like teraterm pro and its ttssh plugin. I don't think you can ssh to it however.

If running win2k or XP, you can set up a second folding client and task schedule it to start whenever the CPU goes idle for x minutes and to run only when idle. But if folding dies (excpet from power failure), you have more serious problems.

You could also run the service installer on your windows 2k/xp boxes and set up their bios' to return to an on state after a power failure. When F@H is run as a service it'll run no matter who's logged in or even if no one's logged in. And if the box resets for any reason, it'll reboot and start folding again without input from a user. It won't help if the box hangs though.

Linux- If you use wine and the windows folding client it is just as fast as a windows box.

For instance-

Redhat XP @ 2160 (144x12) on 8kha+ (kt266a chipset) ram at cas 2

Win2k XP @ 2112 (192x11) on A7N8X (Nforce2 chipset) ram at cas 2

These boxes get about the same frametimes and in fact the linux box has been a few seconds faster, though its not running much besides folding@home and wine.

EM3 and Foldmonitor can monitor folding cross platform if the boxes are networked to share files. I believe Foldmon even has a linux native version.

Last edited:
nerdlogic said:
Is F@H run as a service by default?

Soy

No, it isn't. but its as easy as downloading the service installer from a link in the FAQ sticky or the borging thread. Unraring it. double-clicking the executable. Pointing it to your existing text client. Editing a registry key if you want gromacs. And either rebooting or starting the service by hand.

Back