• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is windows 98se this bad of a RAM manager?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I just restarted, then my mom asks if I want to go out for a bit.

When I come back about 45mins later I have 12 megs out of 320 total left. I didn't have anything running, not even a screensaver.

Is this normal?

Solution

I've used a program called CacheMan with good results. I know it works very well managing RAM with >512MB in Win98 but I suspect it would help with your setup. It's freeware, you can find it at a lot of freeware sites.

I had rambooster, but it would make the cpu be 100% load after I would free up Ram. so it didn't work so wel. Cacheman seems to be working. Thanks.

i have seen a few poorly written programs (like endnote) that actually continually chew up memory---even in windows XP...

in the endnote program there was a default setting that was causing the program to constantly reformat the document with the footnotes...each time consuming a little more RAM

Back