• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K6-2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
What's best for these things? Genome, Tinker, or Gromacs?

I have a 300 @ 337. Do these overclock decently with stock voltage and cooling? I could try to run it at 370 with the board its in if the memory can take the stress of 83mhz FSB. :rolleyes:

Probably Genome. My grandfather had one of those, exact same speed, and it was an absolute dog. It might be able to handle some Tinker cores, but I don't know about the real big ones. Definately less powerful than a PII of the same clock speed. No SSE on these so Gromacs are probably not even worth considering.

They don't overclock all that well, for the most part. They run extremely hot, but I'd get what I can from it...you're going to need it.

Thanks guys. This machine was a freebie, and I may wind up using it as a gateway. Looks like genome may be more appropriate.

It took 45 minutes on a tinker WU frame. Only 399 more to go!

I wouldn't say all k6-2's are bad overclockers, My 2 are able to complete WU's in well under the time limit.

There's a K6-2 350 at work that "tries" to fold. After 4 weeks it has yet to finish a unit! This box only runs 20 hours a week. I left it on one weekend, but that didn't help. I set it up for Genome, but it kept getting Tinkers. It would pound out 4 frames a day. I would like to throw the machine out the window, but one coworker is strangely fond of the antique.

Nothing will make a K6-2 a good folder. But my K6-2+ at 560 (125x4.5) is close to as fast for folding as my P-3 600. My K6-2 450 at 450 (6x75) is significantly slower. It took about 6 days to finish one of the 400 frame units. I'm not up to speed on the names of the cores.

Still, if you could scare up a 450, and that board can do 83 MHz FSB, then running it at 500 MHz would make a noticeable difference in its usefullness.
Maybe someone here has one they can donate?
A guy at work just bought a new computer, and his has a hardware problem of some sort. Maybe I can get him to donate it. It has a K6-2 500 that seems to be ok.

The board can do 60/66/75/or 83 FSB. I don't think it'll handle 83 very well with the memory that's in it.

The max multiplyer is 4.5. :(

Voltage of 2.1v or 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2.

Is it listed here? http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Those are patched BIOS that provide support for the + series, and the standard K6-2, with features such as k6 Write Allocate that many manufacturers left out, never having had the K6-2 in mind.

K6-2's from 400 on have the CXT core which reads the 2x multiplier as 6x. And the later 350's have it as well. I have a 350 that will do 400 on a board with 66 MHz FSB, and the 2x multiplier.
You're welcome to it, but I doubt it'd do over 450, and it would be a shame to not have the board run as fast as it can.

Someone was saying the pluses should do well with a gromacs unti because the 3DNow enhanced or plus or pro or whatever its called this week is included.

I've got 333s that have the 6x multi, so since clockspeed counts rather than storage bandwidth, you could try 6x60mhz, which might work quite well.

regards,

Road Warrior

OC this K6-2

This is an IBM aptiva so don't expect overcloking ease. I'm not about to spend money on this when I have a palomino, 2 durons, and a P3 just waiting for a few parts to get running.

The highest multiplyer I can set by jumpers is 4.5. The bios offers nothing. And the board is not on the list posted by repo man11.

The best I can do is stock 4.5x66, 4.5x75 (what I'm doing now), or 4.5x83 (370mhz). At stock voltage too, unless 2.8v is safe...

The offer for the K6-2 350 that will do 400 was for free. That was at 2.5 volts, multiplier set to 2 by jumper, which is multiplied to 6 by the CPU. If you set the multiplier for 2, and the bus to 75, it might do 450. 2.8 volts is dangerously high for a k6-2, but I had one survive for quite a while until the heatsink popped off.

Back