• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prometiea Socket A mounting tips: too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
I just put the following together in bare bones only, just to POST into BIOS and check temps:
  • Epox 8RGA
  • Barton 2500+ AQUCB 0306
  • 1024mb Corsair XMS3500
The other hardware will come later.

I have been getting poor temperatures. I've done nothing but get into BIOS and watch CPU on-die temps so far, but they seem too high.

The CPU's default vCore is 1.65. At this voltage its diode temperature is about 9C. The evaporator temperature is -44C. So I'm assuming that there is a problem because it should be quite a bit colder, even using the diode to measure temps.

I did not use the shim when I mounted the cooling head. Even though I cut it and it fit alright, I decided against using it because I was worried it would prevent good contact with the core. When I checked the cooling head for good contact by pressing it on, then pulling it off and looking for the core impression in the thermal compound, it seemed to be uniform.

When I bolted the cooling head on for good I did not add washers to the bolts.

Soon I am going to pull the cooling head off and make another run at mounting it unless I hear differently. I was considering adding washers next time so that clamping pressure is higher, but only after I make sure it's not on cockeyed. Do you guys have any tips for getting the head nice and flat on the small, fragile Barton core? Also, if you could tell me how low temps I could expect I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

are you sure it shows on-die temps? the 8RDA board doesnt so unless they added it to the 8RGA I dont think it will read on-die temps either. If it does then your mounting must be off sense you wont have that big of a delta T normaly:D

Well, it reads the on-die temps for thermal protection. I didn't see a thermistor in the socket either. The KT333 and newer all used the diode, I thought.

oh now I remember, it will read it for the thermal throttling but they made it so it wont desplay you the temp. There is a small probe inside the socket and that is the probe you are getting the reading from. I have the 8RDA and it didnt give me accurate temp reading at all. Not even close to what my probe did while touching the side of the die. You really need to buy a temp gauge that you can stick by the cpu. They are only like $10 now so its worth the investment.

yeah.... its prolly a little SMD 8 pin chip inside the socket that reads the temp. if you leave it running long enough to get the air inside the socket stabilised, it will probably drop. and also get a compunurse or similar probe, and get it touchin the core.

One thing I have noticed is that this board (epox 8RGA) tends to read temps high anyway. A lot of people with 8RDA/8RGA boards report that their temps are a good bit higher than what they expect. Some on the order of 15-20C.

I have tried remounting the cooling head twice so I think that's the problem I'm facing.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

It's prob because u have stuff insulating that temp sensor. If u wanna keep track of the temps that way u could fill it will dielelectric grease over the sensor and put foam around the rest of inside the socket. Thats one option but its not really a big deal on the other hand

DisposableHero said:
dont sweat it man.. with my prommie.. i have same problem i get 18C idle.. LOL yeah right epox .. oh well
Yeah, I'm not so worried. Welcome to the forums!

yeah, what youthemandan said, I was just reading and thought of that, but then saw that he posted it.... what you shoudl do is take out that little section of foam temporarily, then check the temps, and then you should put it back in for safety....

Jon

Back