• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going Nuts!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Ok i have a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router. Folled all the instructions in the manual and got it hooked upto to one machine and the ADSL. I have accesed the web based user interface and have configured everything that i needed to access the net. Now my second machine that i plugged in has from the onset has just powered on DHCP has assigned it a IP address on the LAN and it can be seen. I click on the Local area network icon and i can see that it's conected at 100Mbps and has been assigned the IP address that i can see on the WBUI on the router i go to access the internet from the new machine and nothing, Times out or comes back that the it needs to conect to the internet i can't even access the Routers User Interface from it! Someone help me i have tried all the Problem solutions in the manual, i have reinstalled, powered everything down, reset the router numerous times and still no joy!

Check to make sure one of your PCs isn't trying to be a DHCP server. It sounds like that second one you're trying to hook up is.

how would i go about doing that? I'm running XP Pro on both of them. Also the same happens even if i set the problem machine up first.

If you only have a few computers on the network I suggest NOT using DHCP.

Static IP addresses are very slightly faster and easier to trouble shoot.
Linksys routers usually set themselves as 192.168.1.1 for an internal IP (local network) and use DHCP for th external (ISP supplied address.)

Disable DHCP on the router and set your computers to use manual IP addresses starting from 192.168.1.10 and up (leaves 2 through 9 for use for internal server devices- my method anyway.)

With DHCP disabled on the router and each pc using a manually entered IP address you have much less to troubleshoot: the only other settings you need are subnet (255.255.255.0 for all), gateway and DNS addresses; gateway and dns will both be the routers IP- 192.168.1.1.

If it does not work with those settings then there are only a few possible errors:
1) bad cable
2) bad nic
3) bad router
3) pc running a firewall

and I think that is all of them.

An advantage to that is that even if a pc IS trying to be a DHCP server it won't matter- nothing is using dhcp on the lan :) so it should work anyway.

ok i have tried all the above and still no joy! The only way i can get it to run is by starting the "set up a home or small office Network" and selecting this computer conects through another computer or gateway and by bridgeing a connection between the local area connection and one of the IEEE 1394 connections.

Can you access the router's configuration webpage from the computer that doesn't have internet access?

no the only way i can even get access is if i start "set up a home or small office Network" and selecting this computer conects through another computer or gateway and by bridgeing a connection between the local area connection and one of the IEEE 1394 connections.then i am able to both log onto the router and connect to the internet. When I just do the correct method on the PC that doesn't want to connect you can see that it has been assigned a IP by the router in the LAN settings and also you can see the PC on the router and it's name MAC i.d and IP address but i can't ping the PC from any machine that is working nor can i ping the router from the PC even though it has a IP assigned to it.

If you cannot connect to the router, then the problem is between you and the router, which means it's probably the cable or the NIC. Try switching the cable with the other comptuer if you can, and see if it works after that.

The NIC is the the built in Nvidia nforce MPC networking controller which is exactly the same as the one on the other machine i will try and swap the cables but i think i tried that one already.

Man i'm ready to give up on this whole router problem! and go back to the shared internet settings. The machine im now connecting on can't see sites like www.epox.com.tw or other sights while when i wwas connect direct i could! It's driving me nutS!

FarEast said:
Man i'm ready to give up on this whole router problem! and go back to the shared internet settings. The machine im now connecting on can't see sites like www.epox.com.tw or other sights while when i wwas connect direct i could! It's driving me nutS!
So... the cable is bad?
If not, you say that both NICs / video cards are the same, so you could try swapping them and see if the problem moves with the card...

do you have PPPoE DSL? if you do make sure your router settings are setup on the 1st page to stay connected or in other words put all the same settings you would on your personal computer into the router if you know what I'm tring to say...like the USERNAME and PASSWORD information...input all that into the router...

as far as not being able to see your router's webpage....if you changed the router setting from DHCP to Static then you have to give your computer an IP address under the properties tab in TCP/IP...that way you will be able to connect to the router...

I tried to change mine to Static IP Addys but once I changed the setting to static I couldn't access my routers page and I did what I said above and it gave me access back to the routers webpage

ok the NIC (video cards???? where did you get that from?) are both on board one is the shuttle SN41G2 XPC using the nforce2 chipset (this one is fine) the Second is a Epox EP-8RDA+ (the one im having problems with)

Ok I'm using DHCP and i won't swap to Static until this is working on the last PC.

I can connect to the router with the XPC and connect to the internet. I use PPPOE connection and everything is correct and working apart from the odd unavailble website ( this is a secondary problem.) The second machine EP-8RDA+ i can't even see the router even though it has been assigned an IP and the router can see it. the PC can't see out and no other machine can ping the EP-8RDA+ even though when i check the status of the LAN it comes back that it us connected and running at 100Mbps and has an IP and can see the default gateway.

Last edited:
Ok the webpage not showing problem is solved!!! I changed the setting of MTU and set size to from 1492 to 1400 and now no problems! :D

Now it's just that other dman PC!

Also, are you running Internet connection sharing on either PC? If you are, turn it off.

yeah i have tried around 10 different cables, bought and home made! still no difference. nope all shared connections are off!

Ok. Let's dissasemble your network, shall we?

Go to the computer that isn't working. Open up your My Network Places' Properties. Right click your LAN connection, and goto properties. Then, take note of everything that is installed, then delete everything in there.

Then hit OK. It will tell you that your network is not complete. You don't want to add anything right now. Don't reboot.

Right click my computer, and click on "Manage". In computer management, goto device manager. goto network adapters. select your NIC, right click and hit Uninstall.

Hit OK. After it's done, reboot your computer. If all goes well, after rebooting, your computer should "find a brand new NIC", add it, add drivers for it, add protocols, and you should be right where we started before, with new drivers, new registry entries, etc. You may want to check that it installed everything properly.

See if that works.

ok went through and did all that and still no joy! I reinstalled windows and hooked up the modem directly to the NIC card and wonders of wonders it can't see that either although if i bridge the IEEE1394 port and the LAN port everything is fine!!! I actualy build networks for my company and this is driving me nuts! Su ROOT thanks for all the help so far most of it i tried b4 posting but it doesn't hurt to give it all another try! I'm going to give EPOX and mail as i have seen that a previous bios update caused some LAN problems so they might know whats up even though thier problems as mine are as related as fish are to monkeys.

Back