• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Money Is No Option, What To Buy.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

What To Buy.....

I am posing this question to you all for a friend.

My friend needs to build a fast, but reliable system for editing movies. What would you all recommend for a, Processor, Video Card, Mother Board, Memory, Operating System, Sound Card, DVD Burner, Power Supply, Heatsink, etc? You get the idea.

Water-cooling is out of the picture so it will have to be air-cooling. Overclocking may or may not be an option depending on the noise. System will be built using either an Antec or one of the same designed cases.

Last edited:
Dual Athalonxp3000, four 250gig HDDs set up in RAID, a 16x DVD rom, a DVD-RW drive, dual 28inch monitors, Radeon 9800, 4 gigs of PC3200.

No, wait.. thats the computer I want..

Beast Of Blight said:
Dual Athalonxp3000, four 250gig HDDs set up in RAID, a 16x DVD rom, a DVD-RW drive, dual 28inch monitors, Radeon 9800, 4 gigs of PC3200.

No, wait.. thats the computer I want..

i think you just spoke for most people here on OC.com :)
well at least for me, cause i would give my left nut for a setup like that.

To answer your question, yes, the bridge would need to be closed. Its not hard at all, I did it myself, but MP's would be a guarantee.

Here's my list. Let me just say that I would kill for this computer. Almost all parts priced at newegg.

Chieftec Silver Server Chassis..............$65
Lite On 52x Cd-Rw................................$47
Pioneer Dvd-Rw....................................$301
3WARE Escalade RAID Card..................$275
4x Maxtor 250gb 8mb Cache HDD........$1,608
2x Samsung 24" Silver LCD Monitor......$5,398
MSI K7D Master-L .................................$195
Antec 550w TruePower.........................$118
2x Athlon MP 2600................................$558
ATI AIW 9700pro...................................$375
4x ECC pc2700......................................$360
Terratec DMX 6Fire................................$250
2x Slk-800.............................................$80
2x Panaflo L1A.......................................$15
Misc Fans...............................................$20
MS Windows XP Pro SP1........................$143

TOTAL.................................................$9808

Wow..... my dream system.:cool: Heh, even though you said "money is no option", I think this is a little steep. With the panaflo L1A's, and SLK-800's, you should be able to up the fsb to 150, and still have cool temps, and extreme quiet.

You could save a few thousand by downgrading the monitors, as they're $2700 each, and you could also drop the ram down from 2gb. I also doubt he needs a terabyte of HDD space, but hey, you never know.:D

-CPFitz-

DV Editing....ok...

I would run dual Intel Xeon 2.8's or 3.06's with a Switech MCX603 heatsink and either a Titan or Panasonic PanaFlo heatsink fan on a Supermicro X5DAE motherboard. For RAM I would suggest 1 or 2GB of either Crucial or Corsair PC2100 (your call on Registered/ECC or not). I would then select four Hitachi Desktar180 180GB's, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 200GB's, or Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 200GB (your decision) hard drives and run them in a RAID 5 array on a 3Ware Esclade 8500 RAID controller card. For monitors I would select two Sony GDM-F520 21" CRT's, and have them hook up to an ATi All In Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro video card. I would then use a TerraTec DMX 6Fire 24/96 sound card hooked up to a set of either Klipsch or Logitech's 4.1/5.1 Speakers (your desicion). I would feed power via PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 600 ATX powersupply. Rounding off the system would be Sony DRU500AX DVD Burner, a Plextor 48/24/48 CD Burner, assorted Cables, and two or four Papst 120MM case fans.

:)

Last edited:
here is what i wo8uld bue

3000+
Abit NF-S Nforce 2
PC3700 3 sticks of 512 (you cant get 1gb as far as i know)
Audigy-best one
ATI 9800
52X24X52 CD-RW
fastest DVD Burner
1 smaller serial ATA HDD for hte OS and...
big raid array with all 250GB 8mb cach drives in 0+1 (you can do taht right... i think so its like the fast one but backed up i think- read it somewhere))
RAID card
big server case modded and watercooled with only VERYQUIET 120mm fans for airflow (but lots of them... strategigly placed)

that would be so ungoldly expensive though! oh and 2 other cheap PCI vid cards that support high resolutions and 3 flatscreen CTR's that suppor the resolution that is over 2000 or whatever (i like deskspace:D)

IF money was not Option

I would defianlty drop the cash on a Dual Xeon Box
either 2.8 or 3.06Ghz

4 WD 200JB hard drives in a riad aray,
2 - 4Gb of PC3200 DDR ram,

For a video card I would not go the Radeon 9800 or 9700 like everyone seems to be suggesting, Unless this rig is also supose to be a gaming Rig I would go for a Workstation Graphics card.

I would go with the ATI FireGLX1 256Mb Graphics card, it is very picey but if you are serioud about video editing you should get a card made for video editing.

I have no clue what Motherboard to look for, after you have made some part choices comming Back and listing them will focus peoples searches, and a quality motherboard/fan layout will be chosen, but as you can see, people took this as a chance to dream for them selves not look at what would be best for Video editing

deRusett said:
I would go with the ATI FireGLX1 256Mb Graphics card, it is very picey but if you are serioud about video editing you should get a card made for video editing.

CAD and Video Editing are two very differenct creatures, :D

Gotta agree with all who stated dual Xeons. I'm an AMD nut to the core, but when it comes to encoding, AMD just can't hold a candle to dual Xeons with all that cache. Also the ATI card was a good suggestion, deRusset, but I don't know if its the best for real-time editing. I've had experience with several Matrox Parhelias, and they are great cards as well, and wonderful with a triple-head setup. :) Also, get around two Gigs of PC3700 DDR. IMHO, anything over that is overkill, unless you're authoring a full DVD in one session. Of course, the Pinnacle stuff is a requirement. Good call, Crystal.

I do believe this is what he has decided on,

Tyan Tiger i7505 Dual Motherboard

Intel Xeon Processor 3.06 Mhz. (2)

Seagate ST3120023AS 120 GB Hard Drives X (2)

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 250 GB ATA 133 Hard Drive (1 or 2)

PC Power & Cooling 510 Watt

Avid Software

Matrox Parhelia 256 MB Dual Head Video Card

Terratec DMX 6Fire ( Sound Card)

Samsung Memory PC 2100 2 Gigs

ANTEC SOHO File ServerTower

IBM 9.4/4.7GB IDE DVD-RAM

PlexWriter 48X24X48A R/RW

Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel Mouse Optical

XP Pro SP1

Back