• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first encounters of the noob kind. 2500+ question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OneManArmy

First off, Hi!

second I am fairly new to OC and I would like a little advice on how to get started. Every article I seem to find on how to effectivaly do it is seriously out dated.

I have a 2500+ (barton)
Epox 8RDA
768MB PC2700 (samsung i think)

I know I can lock down the AGP and PCI bus, which is good. I have decent cooling. I'm not looking for an exteme OC, just a nice medium one.

Anyone have any good numbers or tips on how to start my quest for a stable OC. what do I start messing with first, etc?

Well what i usually do, is try to match your CPU speed (1.83 Ghz?) with a higher FSB and lower multiplier. So drop the multiplier to like 11.5 and then up your fsb until your CPU is at it's stock speed. Then up the fsb slowly constantly testing satability with Prime95 (you can find a download for this utility @ google) and when you become unstable, lower the FSB a hair and try raising the mult. seeing if it's your cpu or your memory holding you back. If you can't go any higher you may want to try raising the vcore of the cpu a little to see if it isn't getting enough voltage. Repeat this process with the new vcore, until you find your CPU's sweet spot. when you think you have found the top OC you are gonna get, Run prime95 again for 6-12 hours to see if its stable, and then if it is you are done! unless of course you want to play with it a little more to see if you can get higher, like me :p.

Good luck and welcome to the forums. I hope i helped you a little.

P.S. feel free to PM me if you need any further assistance.

-Tray

Back