• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will an XP run in a KT7 Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gary Collins

Registered
I have one of the first KT7 boards. I have noticed that the prices on XP's are considerably lower than Thunderbirds and the speeds are higher plus they have the enhanced instruction set. Will an XP run in my board (at under-clocked speeds of course)? I have the latest Bios running I know that is a must I don't expect toever get much above a 133 FSB it won't do that now. But I am getting a 1000 Mhz clock rate out of a 800Mhz chip. Is it worth $50 or so?

Rotty is correct that it is not officially supported.

I have heard of people running XP procs in KT7s. It sounds like it works sometimes. I have a KT7 and I am running a Duron 1.2 Morgan core I bought in the classifieds for $35 or so. I overclock it to 1.3 and don't expect much from this motherboard.

You can read past posts on this if you do a search on the abit motherboard section.

Since you mention a 133 fsb, I am assuming you have a kt7a. I already have a palamino 1700+ running on my kt7a with newest bios. My other 1700+ TBred-B hasn't been tried in it yet, maybe I'll get brave enough to try it this week.

I'm running my tbred 1700 in my KT7E which officially only supports a 100mhz fsb, at 133. Not officially supported... bull.

I put a 1700+ Tbred B in a Abit KT7A-RAID board. It wasn't rev 1.3 either (the revision that officially supports the XP). No bios update either. It worked like a charm.

I tried an XP1600 and 1700 in my KT7A . They both worked fine with one caveat. If I tried to bump the FSB above 133, it wouldn't post, and I'd have top clear CMOS.

As things heat up here, I'll probably be upgrading to a T-bred for my 8K3A, and putting the 1600 in my KT7A.
As it is mostly for FAH now, I'll be content to let it run at default. It should be less prone to heat lockup than my trusty (but hot) T-bird.

I put an XP1800 in a KT7A v1.0. It runs, but at slower speed. No matter what I did, I could not get it to run at 1.53Ghz... and it pauses with an error code on each boot. You can bypass it, but annoying nonetheless.

Back