• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

11k on 3dmark2001 with a crucial 9700 pro... help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

omg, 11k on a 9700 pro... and my friend got 12k with a 8500 le 128mb one :/

here is my system below please let me know if u see anything wrong or anything i can make better?

m0b0: asus a7n8x deluxe

cpu: xp 2100+ palamino agioa 0115 vppw (the agioa bit im sure not sure about the 0115 vppw, as it wasn't very clear when i saw it on the cpu) (UNLOCKED at original speed 133x13)

ram: crucial pc 2100 512mb ddr ram (at: 6,3,3,either t3 or t2.5 cant remember will check later)

gfx card: crucial radeon 9700 pro NOT overclocked at 8x agp speed with fast write enabled

hdd: some rubish 80gb compaq hdd and a ibm deskstar 120gb

hmmm think thats about it plz take a look at it and tell me what i can do to make the 3d mark score somewhat resaonable for a 9700 PRO! if u need any other info plz let me know also and ill check it up in bios, thanks alot, bye.

ps. im a n00b so be gental ;)

pps. im runing the catalyst 3.2 drivers

That score is fine for your system specs, you don't exactly have an extravigent system.

does your frined by anychance have a faster CPU? or Better RAM? they could be a reason he is getitng better scores then you.

That appears to be a respectful, 'average' score for that type of setup that is not overclocked, if you are not overclocked, be happy, lol.

just because i am getting 10,600 score with my rig (rig1) doesn't means that i have a powerful video card than you, your video card is blocked by your rig rest assured you have enough power under the hood for your next upgrade so you don't have anything to worry about as far as the video card is concerned

my friend has the same ram i think and hes cpu is a lower xp model, but he has overclocked hes as far as it goes...

what would be the best way to increse the score? im thinking of getting a 1700+ t-bred b, because it doesn't require unlocking and i can just start to mess around with asap, and 2 slots of 256 samsung pc2700 ram and o/c that aswell?

any sugestions? thanx alot, bye.

Bump up the FSB on your current rig as high as you can go. Even drop the multiplier if you have to. Do this before you drop $$ on parts you may not need just yet.

yep you should be able to get an overclock with your current setup. Your CPU is unlocked and your memory should hit at least 150 FSB. Only thing is if you are using a retail AMD heatsink you wont get too much out of the chip due to heat <-- the enemy.

If you need a heatsink check out http://www.svc.com/ they usually have good prices.

For memory... research your board a bit and decide what FSB you want to run then just buy the memory speed to match. Cost isnt much different between pc2700 and pc3200 now.

yeah but my PSU (edited: i meant CPU, sorry) is not unlocked though, i have a xp2100+ palamino and i tried to change the clock from 13 to 12.5 and when i boot up run wcpuid it just shows as 13 still, also my FSB wont go any higher either, i tried it at 140mhz and when i booted up to run 3dmark2001 to test it, it crashed 3dmark! plz help :'( thanks, bye.

Last edited:
ummm... you said your CPU was unlocked above (in 1st post). Do you know what that means? It means that you can change the multiplier.

Have you tested with anything other than 3dmark? Prime95 is a good stability tester for CPU and memory. If your failing at 140 it could be b/c of CPU (heat), memory, or AGP card doesn't like overclocking

yeah sorry, i meant LOCKED, just a typo, yeah i know what unlocked means, it's when u have to connect some L1 or L2 bridges or whatever, of which i really don't like to get into, looks kinda messy.

when i put it on 142hmz the computer wont even boot up and when i reset it says something like computer can not boot up due to overclocked frequency or something :/

i have a pc2100 crucial 512mb ram and a radeon 9700 pro gfx card not o/c'd.

When you overclock your CPU, by changing your FSB, you also overclock your RAM, and possibly your AGP/PCI slot, if it is not locked,

check to see if your PCI/AGP slot has a locked Clock, I don't know anything about your motherboard so I can not tell you.

Next, your ram timing, what it is? have you tried changing your ram timing? maybe you are overclocking your Chip with a high ram timing and your Ram is the limiting factor.

you could just have a Bad chip as well.

you dont always have to mess with bridges to unlock a CPU, the tbred's come factory unlocked.

What about temps. and CPU cooling? you never told us your CPu and case temps and what heatsink your using.

did you try upping your voltage though once you got as high as you could stock voltage?
make sure you check your temps though.

i have a LOCKED xp2100+ palomino, and a a7n8x REV 1.06 mobo, and my ram is 512ddr pc 2100+ from cruicial, the timming it shows on my mobo bios are: 6-3-3-T2.5, i dont really know which one of those is the cas :/ infact i dont know muxh at all about my mobo, it's still new, got it about 3 days ago, so any1 with a a7n8x deluxe can fill me in on what all the stuff do? and how i can lower the timming and maybe change the fsb of my ram?

and also what settings i need for my radeon 9700 pro in bios to make it run best? at the moment i got everything on defult and i hope i dont have to keep it for long :p thanx alot, bye.

also on CPU Cool it has about 3 temp displays and i dont really know which is which bue here they are anyway:

temp1 = 46 C

temp2 = 32 C

temp3 = 32C

temp sens 0 = 25 C

vcore 1 = 1.79 V

vcore 2 = 1.79 V

fan1 = around 10,000 rpm

mem avail = around 378

mem page = around 14

and current freq. = 1730.7

thats all the ones i chose to display can any1 confirm for me what each one is plz? and if theres anymroe i should add? or take off? thanx alot again! :)

temp1 is probably your CPU temp and temp2 or 3 is probably your motherboard (system) temp.

If your 46C temp is idle temp (minimal CPU usage) then that is definitely a bit high. If it is a 100% CPU load temp then its not too bad but a better heatsink is definitely in order if you want to overclock.

Can you run prime95 torture test for about 30 mins then give us your temp link = http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

check out the ATI vid card section (in video and sound cards) for more info about overclocking your 9700 Pro

hmmm i did it for 22mins and stoped it because it went up to 56 C, what cooling do u think i should get? i was thinking about the slk800 but as im in the UK it is quiet expensive here, so i thought about the volcano 9, it is alot cheaper and it includes a fan aswell, are there any other setup u have in mind? coolmaster maybe? thanks, bye.

I use the zalman cnps-6000-cu hsf. it is a large copper heatsink that weighs about 1 pound and it has a 9cm fan mounted on a bracket over the top of it. my cpu temps are in the high 20's idle and the high 30's under full load(folding). it is a good hsf although i dont know how much it would cost in the UK. As for overclocking the 9700pro I use Rage3d and I think that it does a really good job. You should be able to find it here http:www.rage3d.com

Back