• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How this for a new rig and how can i improve it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrSpanky

1x 3.066GHz Hyper Threading (533FSB) Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * OEM
2x Corsair XMS 512Mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 Cas 2 - with Heat Spreader
1x Asus P4G8X Deluxe E7205 Chipset Dual DDR 533FSB+ SATA+1394+AGP8xGbit Lan
1x 120Gb Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA (ATA-150) (7200rpm, 8MB Cache) 1yr
1x Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR + DVI + TV
1x 550W CWT + SATA Quiet Dual Fan AMD/P4 App Active Fan Control Active PFC
1x 1.44Mb Black Floppy Disk drive Panasonic
with my old 5.1 sound card 40x12x48 CD-RW and 12x Dvd-Rom
1x Coolermaster FDD Round cable 45cm
2x ROUND ATA133 Certified IDE Cable 90cm
1x 700Va - Liebert - Powersure Personal XT UPS
1x Prometeia Micro Freezer Cooling Unit - Black (Intel CPU)
1x Arctic Silver Compound 3 (6 Gram)
1x Arctic Silver Compound Cleaner
1x Prometeia Seal String 5m

now this is kinda expensive

also how do i link a serial ata hard drive to the other motherboard

it says dose not come with SATA converters the power suply unit dose serial ata but what cable do i need do like HB to MB

Mebbe I'm wrong, Malpine, but that would be his post, not his sig...

DrSpanky, not a bad system. I'm not sure if that board comes with a SATA controller (not much of an Intel-ite), but if not you can add on a card for aroung $50. Stay away from SIIG until the drivers are updated. For Linux, the promise SATA150 TX2 Plus is the best choice, as it comes packaged with RedHat and Suse drivers. For a windows system, the Silicon Image PB3112A adapter just smokes everything currently out there.

As long as yer throwing cash like that around, an Audigy Plat would be a great multimedia upgrade, depending on what you want to use the box for. I'm assuming (with a 9800 on your list) that gaming is a priority, and a good set of speakers with a killer card like the Audigy will blow you away in UT2K3, BF1942, or whatever your favorite game happens to be.

Good luck with the system and feel free to ask any more questions you may have!

[edit]
Oh, yeah, duh! Welcome to the forums, and here's to a great OC'ing !

it dose have sata

it dose have sata and more than what was included on the list one thing i need to know is what cables do i use to like a sata Hdd to the mobo? and it says works with dual channel ddr but dosent say that its compatable with any othing type of ram apart from 266

Back