• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird computer tools?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

mine is my swiss army knife. i can completely assemble my computer and all related items with one or two tools on it.

its not the big fat one either. its only got like 3 blades a pair of scissors and a flat edged saw kinda lookin thing.

only other thing i ever need is my grounding strap.

its kind of a running joke here. i'll be looking around for it and my friends will say "you looking for your computer assembler?" talking about the knife.

anyone got something weird you use while putting your comp together?

razor blades is one of my weird ones.my brother asked why i had one in my ash tray and i guess he thought i was cutting coke or something lol
also i love my flashlight,always needed for reseting cmos in the dark and illuminating my lcd panel for my refer h2o while checking the water temp.

i've got a philips screwdriver that I HAVE to use to work in mine, or any computer......I just cant use any other screwdriver.........and then there's the 16" flat-head screwdriver that I use to install heatsinks......mmMMMmm leverage...hehe.

aside from that, I have a little wannabe swiss army knife.....it's got a 2" knife that I use to open boxes and remove jumpers, hehe.

When I get some cash, I'm gonna browse thinkgeek and nab one of their geek swiss army knives or geek leatherman tools.....always useful to have...hehe.

webfreak said:
All I ever use is my phillip's screw driver. :)
how do you put the hs on??

gotta have a flathead for that.

also i think i'll take a look at those as well dave. :)

Paradoxmaker said:
Gerber multitool is my tweeker tool of choice.

Grounding strap? WTF is that?:D
i got a leather man but that are basically the same.
yeah i never use a grounding strap either. i will bet even i role that new ram and graphics card in my furry carpet it would still work NO i will not try it but still

4-in-1 screwdriver
hemostats

Those are my normal tools......

I also use a cordless drill, jigsaw, propane torch, soldering iron, vise grips, magnifying glass, bench vise, various knives, adjustable wrench, multimeter.

And even a hammer or two :D

Apparently I am not scared, so if you guessed that I don't have a ground strap, you'd be right, lol. (They probably are a good idea though.........)

rogerdugans said:
I also use a cordless drill, jigsaw, propane torch, soldering iron, vise grips, magnifying glass, bench vise, various knives, adjustable wrench, multimeter.

And even a hammer or two :D
:eek:

For the longest time, I used a leather needle to extract the socket type bios chips.

I have since invested in a nice little comp tool kit that has a proper extractor ;)

I use a leatherman ps1 that is on me at ALL times. Plus there is one spific phillps screw drive that is perfect for computer screws. Then I have a flat head for putting heat sinks on. I try to use the proper tool when I can. Other wise you end up slipping and recking something.

Plus a minimag light with an bty attachement that you can hold it in your mouth with goes into my computer tool box too.

For networking I use my leatherman, crimper and a wire sniper I got.

The strangest thing (not really a tool) I've ever used on my comp. is tequila. Takes AS3 right off a CPU.

but my favorite tool is probably zip ties. Those little plastic things can do anything including holding a slot 1 CPU in place when you lose the mounting brackets.

Dental tools (sharp, pointy, crooked sticks)
I got a set and they're invaluable for removing/moving jumpers or fishing around for screws I dropped in the case.

Forceps or small vice wrench
Left over from my moms long-ago days as a nurse. I use these to hold cables out of my way when I'm upgrading RAM. The Forceps are also handy for soldering projects and picking up arrant screws.

Miniature socket wrench
This canme with a VIVO upgrade for my now sold Geforce 2 GTS and it's the perfect size for removing I/O screw-socket thingies. But I have found that it's perfection made for installing heatsinks since it fits most of the tab holes meant for flathead screwdrivers. I use it for that since it won't slip and stab the motherboard.

Heh... I always use my little Burton snowboarding tool.(has a name...just can't remember.) Has a knife, philips screwdriver, flathead, and a whistle:D.

The funny part is.... the screwdrivers are magnetic, although its never given me a problem, even taking out HDD's.

-CPFitz-

Maxvla said:

how do you put the hs on??

gotta have a flathead for that.

also i think i'll take a look at those as well dave. :)

[delayed response]
Well yeah, I have a flathead for that purpose. :)
[/delayed response]

Back