• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many times have you upgraded in the past few months?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark Larson

Disabled
I was talking to somebody who wanted advice and didn't want to upgrade soon, when i started thinking about how often i've upgraded...

In Sept `02 i built this system for a total cost of $ 500.
-1900+ CPU and AX-7 heatsink
-GA-7VRX motherboard
-512MB Mushkin PC3000 RAM
-Antec SLK2600AMB case with PSU.
-Maxtor 40GB 5400rpm drive
-Lite-on 40x12x48 CD-RW
-GF4 Ti4200

Right now i'm running...
-1700+ Tbred B (JIUHB 0310) at 1800Mhz (9x200) with SK-7 heatsink
-EP-8RDA+ motherboard
-512MB Samsung PC3200
-Antec SLK2600AMB case with Lite-on server PSU
-Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB 7200rpm
-Lite-on 40x12x48 CD-RW
-Compaq (Lite-on) 32X CD Drive
-GF3 Ti200

In the meantime, i've gone through a 2000+, a 1700+ JIUHB 0302, a 256MB stick of Samsung PC2700, 9000 Pro, Voodoo5, EP-8RDA, watercooling (put off till summer), many different thermal compounds, different fan configurations, etc etc.

I was just curious whether anyone else is as much of a compulsive upgrader or not.

All in all, over the upgrades, i've probably spent around $ 50-60 (excluding watercooling) by selling my old stuff at good prices relative to what i paid for them. I've also learnt a lot about computers from doing all this, and its all useful knowledge. The video card is the only thing i downgraded, and that is going for a 9500 Pro when the 9600 Pros come out.

Do you think you upgrade often? When's your next upgrade going to be?

let's see.....

i started with these specs about 6 months ago.

XP1600
DFI AK-75 motherboard
384MB PC-133
GF2 MX400
soundblaster live! 5.1
20gig westrerdigital 5400 rpm harddrive
cheap generic case
Dragon Orb 3+ heatsink

over the next 6 mnths i upgraded a few things...
XP1600 unlocked running at 1.8Ghz (doesn't really count as an upgrade)
Gigabyte GA7-VRX rev 2 motherboard
512MB PC2700
Radeon 9700 non pro
soundblaster Audigy MP3+
western digital 40gig 7200 rpm (+ 120 gig westerndigital special edition in a few weeks)
Koolance PC601 case w/ CPU200G waterblock

i'll also have an Abit NF7-S Rev.2 and Corsair 512MB TWINX PC3200 by the end of next week.

Upgrade? you mean you stop sometimes? I've been going steady since Nov on one of nine systems that my extended family has. I was looking at all the stuff I've got in my basement the other day, six at cases three atx cases and about eight motherboards and trying to figure out how i could sneak in a switch to build a clusterless system. I work seasonal though and my season is just about to start so I'll slow down now, never seem to actually stop though.

My last major upgrade was over a year ago. Recently (in the last couple months) I've gotten a new DVD drive, a new 120 HD, a new stick of 512 PC2700, and the newest edition, my Radeon 9700 Pro.

So I don't upgrade much, really. Next step is a new mobo w/ AGP8x support (waiting to see what the KT400a will do), and maybe some more RAM

I'm a poor, unemployed college student, so I can't upgrade nearly as much as you guys do. Last November, I upgraded my system for the first time in two years. The old stuff was:

Duron 700@950
EPoX 8KTA+ (KT133)
Micron PC133 256MB CL2

The new stuff is in my sig.

Last Christmas, I got the Klipsch 4.1 speakers as a very generous present from my gf :D .

Oh, and about two weeks ago, I bought some AS3 to replace the pad, but I don't have a screwdriver in my dorm so I can't get the HSF off :) . But this only cost me 5 bucks with free shipping.

I upgraded to the MB/CPU in my sig about 3 months ago. I should have a new MB by the end of this week :D

I don't upgrade often, per se....but I do add to my stock...
I currently have 6 computers and have had them plus a few more for over a year now :)

The most recent upgrades were caused by my need for a portable pc:
upgraded my water pump (and used the old one in the portable)
upgraded my video card to a GF4(used) so I could use the half-height GF2 MX400 (DDR :)) in the portable.

I usually don't upgrade often, but when I do build something new I go for the "sweet spot" on price/performance: rarely am I on the bleeading edge, but usually I am close enough to compete:)

you can take a look in my sig and id bet 4/5 of it will be differant in 3 months.i give myself a hefty parts allowance every month but i do try and keep backup parts on everything.

im finnally getting to the part where i like what i have and anything else will be an even bigger waste mose than usual.id like to pick up a prometia but thats 2 months of allowance and id just end up partying on that so ill never make it.

btw i do sell and trade so i do get some $$$ to reinvest in my pile of soon to be worthless gold.

Mark Larson said:
I was just curious whether anyone else is as much of a compulsive upgrader or not.
Not lately. It's been almost a year since I upgraded anything because my machine has yet to prevent me from doing anything I want to do at the speed I need it to.

1900+ AGOGA
AX-7
512mb PC2700
GF4 Ti4200 64mb DDR
TV Capture card
20gb ATA100 x 2
SB PCI512 5.1 sound card

Back