• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd-rw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gud2goe

Registered
i have a plextor....but i want to get my friend a cd-rw for the arrival of his new baby......can someone give me some info what they like or recommend? highly important for him so plz help!!

it depends on what he will use it for

1. plextor is designed for copying music
2. liteon is designed for copying games
3. any other will do a crap job of everything

In my opinion any of the high quality drives will do fine. plextor, liteon, yamaha, sony. Just be sure to find one that is in the right price range and read some reviews about it.

also TDK drives I've heard are great.

Also consider LG for the budget type.

I have a Sony burner and it sucks ***.

thanks for alll the info guys. this is going to be a baby present so my buudy can burn back up pics from his digital camera of his new baby.....he is not really into mp3's just yet!!!

ccb056 said:

Who told you that?

Burners are designed for burning, NOT for copying games or music.

The Plextor PX-W2410A, PX-W4012A/TU, PX-320A and PX-W4824A/TU drives for sure can copy games using SafeDisc 1 and 2, and with a little help from some programs they will also copy games using SafeDisc 2.51.021

I've had both Plextor and Lite-On, I like the Lite-On's for their price and the Plextor's for their outstanding reliability.....that doesn't mean the Lite-On's are not reliable, I've OC'ed my Lite-On (see sig) and it's still working like a charm.

BTW: I also like the Lite-On because it comes with Nero (I'm not sure if all Lite-On's do), my Plextor came with WinOnCD which I don't really like.

plextors cant do correct efm encoding, liteons can

correct efm is only used in safedisc as far as i know, the only way plextors can accomplsih it is by using a setting in some softwar (ie clonecd), but, liteon dosent need the setting, and if you live in the us (or your computer thinks you do) you cannot enale the setting untill you "move" to canada

ccb056 said:

I disagree with that. Plextor and Lite-On are both great drives and you can't go wrong with them, but neither were specifically designed to only burn a certain type of media. I have used Plextor, Lite-On, Aopen, Sony, HP, and Philips drives and all of them did a decent job of burning several different types of discs. I have an old HP burner that is 3 years old that is still working perfectly, and also a 3 year old Philips drive that I use as a backup. Works great. I currently use a 52x Buslink (Aopen) CDRW and I've burned in excess of 150 cd's since I've had it and have not had a single coaster.

pcgirl said:

I disagree with that. Plextor and Lite-On are both great drives and you can't go wrong with them, but neither were specifically designed to only burn a certain type of media.

Actually, that is not entirely true Some CD burners do not have the ability to burn CDs with certain copyrights on them. The most important issue is correct EFM coding. Clone CD has a list of CD burners it supports.

http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_cd/writers/a.html

Not all CD burners were made equally.

to overclock some cd rw drives, all you have to do is update the firmware w/ a faster drive's firmware

Just watch out for the Samsungs. I had one and it tore a circular scratch through the middle of all my cd's. You should see my UT and RTCW discs... at least they still work, it killed my Diablo 2 and Brood War discs. Maybe it was just a faulty drive.

Crazy Jayhawk said:
How do you do that?

Like ccb056 said, but make sure you have the 24103S and not the 24102B!!!

You'll need MTKFlash and the XSU1 Firmware.

1) Format a floppy in Win95/98 with the copy system files option (bootable without CDROM drivers).
2) Download the MTKFLASH prog and the Liteon firmware (XSU1.bin) from the link previously mentioned and put them on another empty floppy.
3) Boot to DOS with the Win95/98 boot disk. Then insert the floppy with the flash files.
4) Backup your current firmware by the following command:
MKTFLASH X R /B /M filename.bin (where X is either 1 = Primary Master, 2 = Primary Slave, 3 = Sec Master, 4 = Sec Slave, "Filename" = the name of your current firmware. Note the spaces between the letters after mktflash.)
5) Turn that 24x/32x Liteon into a 40x by the next command:
MKTFLASH X W /B XSU1.bin (where X = see above) It will take a few minutes to write. Don't touch the computer until it finishes.

Proceed at your own risk!!

BTW: After flashing you'll have a drive that supports P-CAV and MT.Rainier:D

Back