• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D... what would you do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

Hey guys. currently my dual setup is as follows..

MSI K7D Master L
2 x 1600+ unlocked @ 1667 mhz (12.5 x 133)
256mb PC2400 Mushkin non reg

I want to make the dual my primary system so I am obviously going to need more memory. I'd been thinking of getting 1gb of crucial pc2100 reg. But a few people have told me that the reg is not necessary. I know I've personally heard differing opinions on this in the past and I want to know if YOU would run 2 of these sticks in your K7D?

Crucial Micron 512MB 64x64 PC2100 DDR RAM, 184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered 2.5V, 6-Layers
CT6464Z265

It would be great to save the money, thanks.

Don't do it!

Buy two 512 MB sticks of Samsung Registered ECC PC2700. They cost less than Crucial's Registered memory and they will overclock to 150 with agressive memory timings.

I have three K7D systems. I run 2x512 Samsung Registered ECC PC2700 @ 150 FSB on one system, 2x512 Samsung Unbuffered PC2700 @150 on another and 256 Crucial unbuffered PC2100 @ 133 on another system.

I run all three with these manual memory settings:

These are high performance, high stability settings. I haven't noticed any more stability out of Registered memory, then Unbuffered memory gives me, but the Registered gives me more upgrade potential, since you can only run two sticks of unbuffered.

So the only reason I should get the samsung is upgradeablilty?

It would cost me about $30 more for each stick, it would be nice but I'd need more reasons to spend all that extra cash. The crucial should be able to do 150 @ those timings as well, at least according to what I've learned from talking to others.

Crucial will ONLY do 150 at CAS 2.5. Samsung PC2700 (Registered or Unbuffered) will be able to run 150 at CAS 2.0, without breaking a sweat. The overall system performance is far improved with memory at CAS 2.0.

512 MB of Crucial Registered ECC PC2100 is 120.99 from Crucial. 512 MB Samsung Registered ECC PC2700 is $98 shipped from MarkOneComputers.

The only reason you would go registered is future expandability.

There is some merit in getting some true PC2700 though. The K7D runs memory at a non-adjustable 2.5v and it's very hard to get regular PC2100 to run aggressive timings over about 138 MHz FSB. I know I can't get my Crucial over that even though it's done 145 MHz in a diferent setup (and I am sure would do more).

I have faced a similar delima myself.... I'm still at 512megs though.....

Anyway I'd go with 2xPC2700 512meg Samsung registered so that I could run at low latency settings at any supported FSB for good performance, and if I thought I would want more than 1.0 gigs of ram, and didn't want to chuck my existing ram.

Or if I was planning on keeping the system for a short time less than a year or so. I'd go with 2xPC3200 512meg sticks so that I could take them out and put them in a future system. Like an Athlon 64 mmmmmm....

Personally I'd only go with registered sticks if you think your gonna keep your system longer than you think 1.0 gigs of ram will meet your needs. BTW you could always add 2x 1.0 gig sticks of unregistered ram.

You gotta remember too that the MPX memory controller is weak, and any help you can give it by lowering your latencies is probably a good thing. I'd stay away from PC2100 now adays, as its days are really numbered. If you want a little future proofing PC3200 is a better choice as this is probably going to be the last widely support DDR speed before DDR II. Yes I know you can buy PC3500 and PC3700 but there aren't any mobo's that officially support that speed, and its pretty likely none ever will.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I ended up compromising between the two different viewpoints. I bought

2 x 512 of PC2700 Crucial unreg cl2.5

This way I can get the faster timings at 150 FSB without spending all the extra cash for the reg. I got it for 71 bucks a stick at mwave.com or about 60 bucks less than the samsung for both sticks. I would have liked the samsung reg but future upgradeability is just not a good enough reason for me to spend all that extra money.

It has been running great for a few days, although I am having other issues : /

Back