• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD-K6-2 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caeberos

well i have a dead K6-2 and wanted to make a keychain or somthing out of it, and i was wondering what this thing looks like under the "heatspreader" becuase i don't want to remove it to realize it made a better keychain with it on.:cool: Thanks

They look kind of like an Athlon under there.
The heatspreader alone might make a better key fob.

They look like this:
k6200.jpg

This is a K6 but the k6-2 looks the same witth a smaller die. I have uncapped many of these.

if you ever come across LOTS of dead cpu's and need something interestinbg to do with them, try what my cousin is doing. He is making a custome case completly out of dead cpus. (next time i get out to montana i'll get a picture of this for everyone)

how in the world is that supposed to work? a dead cpu case? i would love to see some pictures of that :)

That reminds me of a story. I had an old Penitum one laying around that I wanted to make into a keychain and well lets just say that it didn't turn out to well. At first I tried drilling through it but the drill bits didn't even make a dent. Then I got my dad to take it to work to have a hole drilled in it. Now at where he works they have drills that drill through steel and needless to say are quite powerful. Well any way he gave it to the guy in the die shop to drill it and the guy put a brand new drill bit on the driller (the drill bits are $24 a piece btw) and went to work. Well the chip was so hard it broke the drill bit (though a small part of the chip broke off).

I don't know what that thing was made of but its very hard (I never tried drilling through the core btw, I wonder if that would of worked).

Obsidian said:
if you ever come across LOTS of dead cpu's and need something interestinbg to do with them, try what my cousin is doing. He is making a custome case completly out of dead cpus. (next time i get out to montana i'll get a picture of this for everyone)
it is worth it to go ou to montana just to take a pic for us lol or have him take a pic email it to u and post it on the forums for us. i am interested in how it would look and how it is held together, man that is a lot of dead cpus.

lol dead cpu case :O that'd be a site to see..unfortanetly not a very attractive one heh

ktn said:
lol dead cpu case :O that'd be a site to see..unfortanetly not a very attractive one heh

i can't imagine how many dead cpus that would take... we gotta keep this thread alive until i see some pics! :D

I thought that the Athlon chips were ceramic.....either way they are uber heavy, and I dread the day that I toast one, for I don't know if I will be able to drill through it...hehe. Toasted processor = happy me cuz I want a keychain! tho I do have some live processors lying around.....I don't want to kill them just for their fur, hehe. not when there's folding to be done!

I think the best way to make a keychain out of it is to encase it in plexi. That has 2 benefits. One, you don't have to drill through the chip in order to hang it....and two, you don't have all the pins catching lint and any stray threads from your pockets, hehe.

yes i was trying to make a keychain a while ago, out of an old proc i had. but i could drill through it it the drill just spun on the surface, if i had a drill press i could probably have don it but wha i thought i would do is cake a dent to get hte drill bit started but unfortunatly a hammer and a nail didn't make a dent it shatter the proc in millions of peices it was cool that it exploded kinda of but = no keycahin for me. :(

ahh the dead cpu case would be a !@#!@$ to work in...all those pins sticking out everywhere...free accupuncture :) Hopefully the pins are not sticking out on the outside of the case That would be even worse.

i had a couple of dead pentium ones, i wanted a key chain but i had the same luck you guys did... so i took one and got a hammer and pounded it into my cork board it went all teh way in untill the last hit cracked it into like 5 pieces. its kinda cool, cause you can take the big middle piece out and see all teh shiney... wutever in the middle. and then stick it back in the cork. the other one i didnt even mess with, i jsut stuck it in the back window of my car inbetween the two speakers.. so if you look in teh back window you'll see my cars pentium powered ;-)

Just a thought, you could try a masonry drill bit, those are carbide tipped and should cut it. I dunno how small they make them though.

they make carbide tipped bits for other purposes
call a local machine shop and ask what they'd use, heck see if they'd do it for ya, wouldnt cost more than 5-10 bux. hell i have the head of my engine block milled for 30

Back