• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built a POS from various old parts today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

When cleaning out the attick today I came across various old AT-cases left over from upgrades and repairs I did for various people in the past. These cases were stripped of most, but not all hardware, so I decided to salvage anything minimal useable still in good/working order and see if I could build a minimum internet-box. Just for fun and old times' sake! Here's what I'm typing this on:

- Pentium 233 mmx cooled by an Alpha PEP66 (!)
- DFI i430TX AT mainboard
- 64MB PC100 CL2 SDRAM (64MB is max. cacheable with iTX chipset)
- S3Virge/DX375 4MB PCI videocard
- 3Com Etherlink III ISA PnP NIC
- Quantum ELS127A PIO-mode2 127MB HDD (LMAO!)
- old floppy drive
- old AT case
- 153W Compaq AT PSU

That HDD (the only working one I could find) can barely hold a stripped Windows 95 with IE5 and AIM, but hooked up to my cable router it works!

SETI?! How long, or how many DAYS, does it take for a WU to complete? Once I find a larger ATA33 drive so I can turn it into a nice 24/7 kazaa-download-box I might throw SETI on it as well, lol!

If that is an P5BTX/L, it is capable of running a K6-2 at 500 MHz.
I don't know if you care, but I'm telling you just in case you do. It has undocumented settings for 75 and 83 MHz FSB (they might be in the manual for setting up Cyrix CPU's) and you use the K6-2 CXT core (any K6-2 over 400 MHz), which recognizes the 2X multiplier as 6X. 6X75=450, 6X83=500.
It'll call it MMX CPU, 66MHz when it posts.

Just in case you might find this information useful.

Hey thanx for the info Repo-Man! I checked out DFI's site for the manual. It's a P5BTX/L rev. A+ and it supports 75Mhz bus. I found out the jumper settings and she's running @ 266Mhz right now. This is what it's all about at OC.com and it's where that PEP66 starts to come in handy!!!

Glad I could help.
I like to fool with the old stuff every chance I get.
I get a kick out of running a motherboard never meant to go faster than 233 MHz at 450 to 500.

And though I doubt you'll need it, here is a link to a site with a BIOS patched to support a 128 gigabyte drive!
http://wims.host.sk/

Lancelot said:
Hey thanx for the info Repo-Man!

NO.....Don't........do.....it......

must.....control......self, must....use.....restraint

......must.....not....post......that......pic.....again

:D:D:D:D:D

Oh and BTW - I run a P90 with 32 mb of ram, a 850mb hdd (windows) and a 6gig drive, purely for Kazaa - it's almost silent!

It did fold, for one FRAME (which took 9 hours, so I uninstalled f@h!)

Back