• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the computer bad for your eyes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Too Smart

My parents are always telling me to stop spending so much time in front of the computer because it's bad for your eyes. Is there any truth to that, and if so to what extent? I am getting my degree in computer science so I will spend most of my days for the next 40 years in front of a computer screen.

Unless you run it at 60hz, it's quite improbable. Even at 60hz, I'd be suprised if they was any long-term damage done.

Unless you set a refresh rate that your monitor doesn't like, I would tend to say no. Millions of people sit in front of computers for eight hours per day only to go home and repeat the process. No one has gone blind yet.

In fact, if that were happening, I would expect the government would start making all kinds of regulations if the manufacturers did not correct the situation to avoid lawsuits. My best guess is that your parents concern is related to the older idea of the TV somehow being bad for your eyes.

No, its not the computers that'll make you go blind..
psycho.gif

correct me if i am wrong but don't monitor already are shielded in some way to reduce the harm to eyes??

what should be ideal refresh rate ? i have 2 Nokia Multigraph 445Xpro monitors running at 1280x1024x32 bit colors at default refresh rate and 1 Gateway 2000 EV900 19" monitor running at 1280x1024x32 at default refresh rate (i believe its 60 hz right?)

The only possible harm any monitor could really cause is from radiation, but thats only if you press your nose up against it like a fanboy to the back window of a stripjoint :p

As long as you keep your face 5 to 10 inches away from the monitor screen all shall be minty fresh.

wouldnt it be funny if it came out next week that moniters actually could kill if u stare to long, for we'd all probabally die

Unless its a realy bad monitor or an old video card you should be fine. Where I used to work my first computer I was given to use had a REALLY bad video card on it and it would give me headaches. Then got a different computer and I was fine.... Thats the only ill effects I have had.

Thanks everyone these answers are encouraging. Just as I suspected my parents didn't know what they were talking about (hey, neither of them went to college and they don't even know how to turn on a computer). I guess it makes sense, I have been using a computer since I was little, and heavily for the past 6 or so years and I still have perfect eyesight.

Your parents are half-right. Using a computer, like another popular recreational activity that scares parents, won't make you go blind. But its not good for you if you do it for hours on end, either. (I'm talking about the computer, ya pervs...)

Here is a brief overview of the symptoms of computer eye strain and how to prevent it. It is not a debilitating disease, but if you experience any of these symptoms it is your eye's way of telling you they need to look at something else for a while.

Of greater concern is the risk of blood clots and a pulminary emboylism. Even young people in the peak of health can develop blood clots in their legs if they sit in the same position for hours at a time. These clots can kill you if they break loose.

If you feel numbness or tingling in your feet while you are sitting at your desk that is a symptom of reduced circulation. Swelling in your ankles or feet is a more serious symptom of reduced circulation. Before it gets that advanced get up and move around, as often as necessisary to prevent the numbness and tingling. If it becomes a frequent problem, invest in an ergonomic chair and talk to your doctor.

BHD

Beast Of Blight said:
The only possible harm any monitor could really cause is from radiation, but thats only if you press your nose up against it like a fanboy to the back window of a stripjoint :p

As long as you keep your face 5 to 10 inches away from the monitor screen all shall be minty fresh.

the glass in a crt monitor contains a lot of lead to block the radiation. most of the monitor's radiation emissions come from the back, so its the monitor of the person sitting across from you that is going to make you glow in the dark:D

just so you know, you should be able to delete a doubt post by going to edit and checking the delete box and then clicking delete (that is unless you are the thread starter)

i see... well i just deleted my post before yours with the above stated :D

BaldHeadedDork said:
Of greater concern is the risk of blood clots and a pulminary emboylism. Even young people in the peak of health can develop blood clots in their legs if they sit in the same position for hours at a time. These clots can kill you if they break loose.
Yay! Now I have a medical reason to continue fidgetting and wiggling...

Eye strain is mostly from glare, and reading insanely small print. So just make sure to put your computer in a non-daylit area. And as long as your monitor is atleast 10 inches away from your face you won't develop near-sightedness.

Back