• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! i think i blew up my comp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

riceimport

Registered
i was running a burn in program and right when the program started there was a popping noise and the comp shut off and it won't start up at all. what do u think i blew up:( will a blown motherboard cause it not to work at all or could it be the blown cpu chip? this sucks bad cause i only had the comp for less then a week and this happens. please help

Was it one big, loud pop or was it a bunch of small pops (like a sizzling noise)? Do you see any burn marks anywhere inside your computer? Look carefully at all of your components for scorch marks (except in your power supply; those things can be dangerous; don't open that up unless you know what you're doing).

it was just one big loud pop and i couldn't find any psyshical damage done to the motherboard or cpu. how do i test the powersupply?

riceimport said:
it was just one big loud pop and i couldn't find any psyshical damage done to the motherboard or cpu. how do i test the powersupply?

use a paperclip or wire to bridge pins 4 and 6 of the atx connector. find pins 4 and 6 by looking head on at the connector with the plastic clip on the top. count 4 pins from the left on the top row, and 6 pins from the left on the top row. if the psu is working, its fan should start and it will operate normally. this is the method koolance tells people to do to get their watercooled cases primed.

if youre going to use the paperclip thing,
make sure u put some kind of insulation on the exposed part of it :D ...
and NEVER touch it when you plug/turn-on the psu :D

sangapski said:
if youre going to use the paperclip thing,
make sure u put some kind of insulation on the exposed part of it :D ...
and NEVER touch it when you plug/turn-on the psu :D

i wouldnt worry about that. its less than 12v dc, probably 3.3 or 5, or even less. you should be careful on the ac side if you ever play with those wires, not that you should.

Probably your Power supply. WHat program were you using to burn-in, and how long had it been burning in for until it died?

SiSoft Sandra is what i used and right when it started the burn in program it pop immediately i tried the paperclip thing and the powersupply isn't coming on . don't know for sure if im doing it right though

Back