• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Gigabyte motherboards usally good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dace

Registered
I was considering purchasing a Gigabyte motherboard model #GA-5SMM and was just wondering if this one was any good. I notice it can be overclocked quite a bit. I'll be using it with a K6-2 processor.

They are usually decent- but gigabyte is not usually considered a high end brand.

If it has the features you need and its cheep, go for it. How much are you seeing it for?

I wouldnt pay too much for a mobo for that proc when nice, new xp1700 tbred bs that oc to over 2ghz are selling for only $50.

nealric said:
They are usually decent- but gigabyte is not usually considered a high end brand.

If it has the features you need and its cheep, go for it. How much are you seeing it for?

I wouldnt pay too much for a mobo for that proc when nice, new xp1700 tbred bs that oc to over 2ghz are selling for only $50.

What's considered a high end brand? Asus? AOpen? The one I'm interested in is 10$ US.

You lost me in the last part with the abbreviations:confused: What can you get for 50$ now a days?

Gigabytes are pretty good boards. Shop I worked at used them in out custom PCs and we never had a problem with them. You could get better boards with more features, but you'd also pay a lot more.

Daemonfly said:
Gigabytes are pretty good boards. Shop I worked at used them in out custom PCs and we never had a problem with them. You could get better boards with more features, but you'd also pay a lot more.

Ok, educate me. Which are better? I want the best Socket 7 MoBo out there.

Giga-byte are not bad but ussually don't have much for overclocking features and things. Aopen is not good.

I don't get it, you want a 10$ board for a k6-2 or the best socket 7 board out there?

q149 said:
Giga-byte are not bad but ussually don't have much for overclocking features and things. Aopen is not good.

I don't get it, you want a 10$ board for a k6-2 or the best socket 7 board out there?

I want to know what is the best Socket 7 board out there. Are there any Socket 7 MoBos with AGP 4x?

The Gigabyte board I was interested in has a max of 133MHz and 5.5

q149 said:
well i don't know if you want a board for a k6-2

Ok, let's rephrase. What is the best Socket 7 MoBo out there for a k6-2 533mhz processor?

Is that better?

I don't think anyone is making S7 boards any more. A gigabyte is plenty good considering you are in a take-what-you-can-get position.

Yeah man. Socket 7 (What you need is a Super Socket 7 though) has aged quite a bit. I don't think AGP went over 2x for those boards.

Edit, to answer your original question. The Socket A boards from Gigabyte are usually stable, but they're not the greatest when the come to OCing. If you're looking for a high end Socket A, try an ASUS A7N8X. Don't know what they're like for overclocking, but they're loaded with features.

larva said:
I don't think anyone is making S7 boards any more. A gigabyte is plenty good considering you are in a take-what-you-can-get position.

I know that Socket 7 boards are discontinued....but I disagree with you that I'm in a take-what-you-can-get position. Socket 7 boards are being sold at good prices or even being thrown out as people seek to upgrade to the latest trend...I simply want to know what was the best Socket 7 motherboard ever produced, so I know what to look for.

So could someone please just tell me what they think is the best Socket 7 mobo ever produced.

Hmmmm.... I know ASUS boards were loaded with feature of that day.

What form factor are you looking for? AT or ATX?

I've only ever seen one S7 board in ATX, everything else was AT, usually they had onboard USB, some with onboard video, and some with onboard sound, but I've never seen onboard ethernet.

Gigabyte is one of the best manufactures of “reliable :)” motherboards (lowest RMA) they just are not the best OCing motherboards out there but as the Super Socket 7s go the “GA-5AX” (ALi Aladdin V AGPset) is one of the best I used it for many years some quick stats below:
Supports CPU multiplier 1.5/2.0....../6.0 for future processors
66/75*/83*/95/100/105*/110*/115*/120*/125*/130*/135*/140* MHz FSB
CPU voltage 1.3V~3.5V

PS here is some review on it too: http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/ga5ax-2.htm

Back