• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My CDROM keeps disappearing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dumpa

Recently I installed my new mobo and ever since I have this wierd problem. My CDRW needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled every time I reboot.
I don't get any prompts nor errors, the D: icon isn't there.

I tried to contact ECS tech. support twice but never got any response.:mad:

Any ideas ?

PS ECS sucks @$$!

the only time when this sort of thing happened to me was when the IDE cable was loose, at times problems are just too simple that one ignores them so i suggest you do check your cable connections

I had the same problem, I ended up finding out that the IDE ribon was pushed in on only one side, and making intermitant contact on the other. Reseated it, and viola. :)

I wish it was that easy.

I double checked the cable (one round Vantec blue cable with CDROM master and HDD slave).

That was the first thing I did...

than in that case i recomend removing the drivers from device manager (when everything is being detected) and reinstall the drivers and see if that makes any difference

I did that after checking the cables.
Didn't help.
The wierd thing is after reboot there is no drive d: (CDROM) and all I need to do is to start Hardware Wizard and let it detect 'new' harware.
But I won't get any messages like "new hardware detected", the d: will simply appear.
I can use it without any problems but after rebooting again it's gone:confused:

this problem is totally beyond me and have never seen anything like that, the only thing i can think of (the last resort) is to format and reinstall windows

i second that...borrow and try another drive, also dont just check the cable is plugged in properly, actually try it with a differentt cable.

I have had this problem before when the CD-Rom drive could not read CD's right, so Windows thought it was a problem with the CD-Rom and disabled...so when i went into My Computer it was no longer there until i restarted.

I had this problem on a Compaq I was migrating to winxp. The CD was just gone, was not even in the bios.

The fix was reseating the video card.

I don't know why, but that was the solution even though it makes no sense........

This belongs in General hardware, or the specific motherboard mfr section. I'd lean toward Gen. Hardware myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back