• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multis higher than 12.5 on MSI K7-D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyclone6

Registered
Hi,

I've got a MSI K7-D Master running two XP2100's modded to MPs. It runs fine. But the 150 mhz FSB speed seems to be limiting. With the default multiplier of 13x, all I can get out of the system is 1950 MHz. The Bios has multipliers of 12.5 and lower. Is there a way to get multis higher than 13x and bump up the speed of the CPU?

Thanks in advance...:cool:

The only way that's been proven thus far is hardcoding. No one has tried the motherboard mod yet which may be a possibility.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hard-coding them sounds a little dangerous. I was thinking about taking the 2 CPUs out, and trying to figure out the maximum overclock on each chip in a nVidia single CPU board. Take the lowest of the two chips max OC, and then hard-coding them both to run at that lower speed.

That should work - shouldn't it? And if I have to "un-hard-code" the chips, how do I get the defogger paint off of the chips?

Thanks again...

One last quick question...is the hard-coding procedure the same as modding XPs to MPs? Just paint over the appropriate bridges? Or do you have to mess with pits and all of that stuff?

hardcoding

Hardcoding almost always involves breaking connected bridges and connecting broken bridges. Some have had luck using a 9v battery to blow bridges like a fuse, but I know a few who have tried it and killed their cpu's. (They say you need an old battery that's kinda weak, not a brand new one) Other methods involve cutting into the CPU surface in order to sever a bridge. You usually only have to blow one or 2 bridges and connect one or 2 bridges.

Once bridges are broken, they are easy to connect with defogger paint. So having every bridge broken and a vial of defogger basically gives you the ability to paint it into whatever cpu you want. If you want to remove the connection, you can pretty much scrape defogger paint away with your fingernail.

cyclone6 said:
Hi,

I've got a MSI K7-D Master running two XP2100's modded to MPs. It runs fine. But the 150 mhz FSB speed seems to be limiting. With the default multiplier of 13x, all I can get out of the system is 1950 MHz. The Bios has multipliers of 12.5 and lower. Is there a way to get multis higher than 13x and bump up the speed of the CPU?

Thanks in advance...:cool:

Hey did you TRY the lower multis? The Abit KT7 and KT7A folks found some cool stuff.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158672&highlight=kt7a+2100

Apparently the 13 and up multi chips default to multi +8 when you enter a lower multi, so

BIOS CHIP
7 15
8 16
9 17

and so on.

JUST FOR GRINS, try a 7 multi at 133 FSB, do you get 7*133=931, OR, do you get 15*133 = 1995?

Let us know if this works.

Thanks!

cyclone6 said:
Thanks for the quick response.

Hard-coding them sounds a little dangerous. I was thinking about taking the 2 CPUs out, and trying to figure out the maximum overclock on each chip in a nVidia single CPU board. Take the lowest of the two chips max OC, and then hard-coding them both to run at that lower speed.

That should work - shouldn't it? And if I have to "un-hard-code" the chips, how do I get the defogger paint off of the chips?

Thanks again...

That sounds like a very good plan. Read this thread for all the info you need on blowing bridges for higher multipliers. It's really not that hard or dangerous. I have done it half a dozen times, myself, and haven't had any trouble, whatsoever. By the way, the 5V method is the one I use. The 9V battery method hasn't worked, for me, at all. I use Ground and 5V and a pair of paper clips (sanded to a point at the end) and it works every time.

none1 said:

Hey did you TRY the lower multis? The Abit KT7 and KT7A folks found some cool stuff.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158672&highlight=kt7a+2100

Apparently the 13 and up multi chips default to multi +8 when you enter a lower multi, so

BIOS CHIP
7 15
8 16
9 17

and so on.

JUST FOR GRINS, try a 7 multi at 133 FSB, do you get 7*133=931, OR, do you get 15*133 = 1995?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that doesn't work on this board. I tried it.

Re: Re: Multis higher than 12.5 on MSI K7-D?

none1 said:

BIOS CHIP
7 15
8 16
9 17

and so on.

Thanks!

Something similar to this worked on my dually msi and I'm currently using this trick.

Re: Re: Re: Multis higher than 12.5 on MSI K7-D?

cmcquistion said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't work on this board. I tried it.

spldart said:

Something similar to this worked on my dually msi and I'm currently using this trick.

OK, one of you wana let us know what's up? :rolleyes:

spldart, what multi * fsb = mhz can you use?

Thanks much!

I found a shift of 4X when using the lower multi's on my higher set 1700's. (I hard coded them up as 2200's, 13.5x)
They are currently running at 14x by selecting 10x in bios...If memory serves. I confirmed that each step down was a corresponding step down as well. CMC was unable to reproduce this at the higher 133 fsb. He did get a similar event at 100mhz fsb.

SiGmA_X said:
Has a BIOS been made for the K7D to allow more multi adjustments? There are a lot of custom BIOSes, so why not a K7D one?

No, there hasn't been.

Custom BIOSes aren't easy, though and I think the multiplier issue is in the hardware and can't be changed by a BIOS.

I don't know of any motherboard that will let you choose multi's below 12.5 and above, on the same chip. The only exception, that I know of, is the Nforce2 chipset, which was designed to allow this. No other chipsets will do it, though.

cmcquistion said:

No, there hasn't been.

Custom BIOSes aren't easy, though and I think the multiplier issue is in the hardware and can't be changed by a BIOS.

I don't know of any motherboard that will let you choose multi's below 12.5 and above, on the same chip. The only exception, that I know of, is the Nforce2 chipset, which was designed to allow this. No other chipsets will do it, though.

Seems that some of the KT400 chipsets DO allow access to all the multis, for the higher multi (2100+) chips. The MSI KT400 DID NOT, but some of them did.

Back