• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SHould I upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

y0bailey

Alright...i have some money, not much, and i was just wanting to get some opinions on if i should upgrade or not. i play a decent amount of games, so playability has started to become an issue as of late.

current rig

XP 1700+ at 11 x 150 (slight OC, mobo holding me back)
soltek kt266a
512 pc2100, maxed out settings
60 gig HD (30x raid 0), backup 12 gig POS
ati 8500
soundblaster live

right now this comp does everything i need it to, besides games slightly sucking. I was wondering if i should upgrade just my videocard (thinking 9700 pro or 9500 pro depending on my account), or if you would recommend getting a new mobo, ram, as well (is my sytem going to bottleneck that card too much?). I was guessing that if i get a new mobo and ram i can run my 1700+ at around or above 2ghz, cause i have a watercooling setup. Would it be worth it? or should i just get the videocard and hold out till the new hammer platform emerges.

Suggestions please!

If you really plan on getting a hammer when it comes then you might as well just get a card then save up for a hammer borad, processor and new ram. The video card alone should give you a noticeable change.

I have a 3-year old setup that with the addition of the 9700 Pro allows me to play BF1942 at over 70 FPS (see my sig).
The video card ALWAYS gives you the most bang for the buck. Start with a 9700 Pro/9800. If your system still isn't up to par, then upgrade your mobo/cpu.

Back