• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the most you'd spend on a computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaldHeadedDork

I see a lot of dream rig threads here and it made me wonder at what dollar point do you think "dream" becomes "stupid"? When do you think someone is spending money just because they have the money to spend? And is there any specific item that sets off your bling-bling alarms?

Discuss.

BHD

I will spend every dollar I can on my system, that being said I am a bum and have little money to spend, but I am saving up constantly to upgrade to the next system.

I currently have a 1.6a, 512 ram, and a 128mb Ram Video card, my next system will be a Prescott, and I will put every penny I can into it when I finally get it,

the more money I have the more I get in the system.

THOUGH if I was well off and could afford the finer things in life I would probably limit my spending,

Dream Rigs would not be as extravigent, things I say I want in the dream rig, probably would not make it into a Rig because of cost,

like 4 Raided hard drives, 2 Drives in a Raid 0 maybe but chances are I would not have 4, I don't need that kind of storage space, I don't use MP3's nor do I put movies on my machine, if I could get a 40Gb RAM drive that acted like a hard drive I would be SET!!

well i just depends on what parts i have left over from my old rig after butchering it to build the new one :) actually my spending limit for a new rig is about $1250, and i never reach that...

the overall cost i may spend on a machine may be higher than that though because i do incremental upgrades (begin with 512 mb of ram, slower processor, smaller hard drive, etc)

I also tend to upgrade one piece at a time depending on budget but all together a nice almost top of the line computer should not have a hardware cost more than $700-800, but if you want the fastest CPU, vid card etc... you can easily double that amount.

and a basic computer with good quality parts should not cost more than $450

deez said:
I also tend to upgrade one piece at a time depending on budget but all together a nice almost top of the line computer should not have a hardware cost more than $700-800, but if you want the fastest CPU, vid card etc... you can easily double that amount.

and a basic computer with good quality parts should not cost more than $450

$450??? that's a little low for a full system imo... maybe if you reuse some parts...
then again, it also depends on if your getting intel or amd...

Are all of your prices with or without a monitor and speakers? I just built my system for about $1,000, without new monitor and speaker and case (new power supply though).

mbentley said:
$450??? that's a little low for a full system imo... maybe if you reuse some parts...
then again, it also depends on if your getting intel or amd...

with either Intel or AMD you can build a nice budget system with quality parts for $450 or less no problem with everything except a monitor and software. Here are some rough prices give or take a few $$$

Enlight Case with 300W PSU = $60
Processor retail 1800 (XP or celeron) = $75
Mobo name brand w/sound = $75
60Gb HDD = $80
Vid Gf2MX400 = $40
RAM 256Mb pc2100 = $40
CDrom = $25
Floppy = $10
NIC = $10
KB = $10
Mouse = $5
Speakers = $5

i think its a matter of ones opinion. I say spending money on climbing gear is stupid but thats me. I dont expect others to like what i like so u can really say what amount is considered stupid.

AZN

I guess it all depends how much $ is available.

At my current financial state, I would not spend more than $1500 on a "dream system"

Now if I was pulling in 200k a year, 5k would be in order.

i draw the line on spending when i need to save a months pc parts allowance and combine it with another months allowance to buy a part.
the prometia is such a thing i want but i think thats over my limits.

but over a long haul my system can cost alot as i do give myself a hefty spending limit every month. $400-$500 and constantly get to upgrade.so that kinda makes it hard to put a spending cap on my hobby as an end total cost that i stop at.its always evolving.

Build it for what you're going to primarily DO with it or have plans to do in the near future. As has been seen, part prices marginally decrease over time, so buying it before you need it is silly. Having the "latest, greatest" won't help you in any way if you're only doing regular office tasks like word processing and net surfing.

That said, My minimum build speed is
Duron 900
256mb RAM
20gb HDD
moderate 3D graphics (TNT2)
Upgradability options

A machine like that won't cost more than $600. Even if you want a nice monitor.

BaldHeadedDork said:
And is there any specific item that sets off your bling-bling alarms?
It's usually VERY obvious when a person is only throwing money around because they can. I think the only thing I could reference in that respects would be people who excessively upgrade whenever a new part comes out, simply because they have to feel superior.
You can't really judge cosmetic features, because I've pulled off a number of addition that cost me little, but would cost others a small fortune because they don't normally have access to such services.

It's usually VERY obvious when a person is only throwing money around because they can. I think the only thing I could reference in that respects would be people who excessively upgrade whenever a new part comes out, simply because they have to feel superior.
captainslug i know this wasnt aimed at anyone or persons in particuler,but i do think its a wrong statement in some cases.and also this isnt aimed back at you as this topic has come up many other times.

reason i say it is this.i finnally have gotton lucky enough now i have my "dream rig" in my sig.its not extravagventy expensive imo
but is rather top shelf.but anyhow im at the point now i dont really need anything in particuler.but i still have a rather nice sized pc parts allowance.

so its gonna be hard for me now to buy parts as most the stuff really isnt needed. as you can only upgrade so much.but this has nothing to do with "feeling superior" some say "bragging rights"
others say "wastefull".

and i can see how some feel this way.i dont have a 9800pro or an amd 3000 barton or a prometia.but people who have these things i dont look at them and think the above mentioned terms.

this is my hobby,entertainment,relaxation,fun,and girlfriend some days :D.so i spend the money i do for those reasons.and if i do post a benchmark its not to brag but to share and learn.

i guess i just wanted to point this out.some people have good reasons for what they have or do.

btw im not rich and im sure some teenagers make more money than me.this is just where my priorities take me.

deathstar13 said:
captainslug i know this wasnt aimed at anyone or persons in particuler,but i do think its a wrong statement in some cases.
By "wasteful" I mean they upgrade so frequently that they don't even USE their system very often. T[h]ey're proud, t[h]ey boast, t[h]ey're sore losers, and t[H]ey're generally unpleasant to be around.
I've only met a few, so yes. T[H]ey are a huge minority.

I don't really care how anyone spends their money, as long as they don't wave it in my face or pretend it makes any noticable difference in how likable or talented they are as a person.

Hmm, I think some of my keys are sticking... :)

To me, my system is a dream system. A low end dream system. I spent about $1000 total on this system. That includes any and all upgrades that I have made (video card, psu, hard drives, fans, dvd...).

I agree with captain slug about buying the latest greatest parts. Thats foolish in the world of computers. For me, I just wait another year+ after the part comes out and buy it new or used for cheap. Example: I bought a mobo and ram from someone on the classifieds for a heck of a lot cheaper than it would have cost when it first came out.

256MB PC2100 DDR (used)
Asus NForce Mobo w/GF2 (used refurb)
1700+ AthlonXP (used)
40GB Hitatchi (refurb)
Black MATX case + PSU (new)
Black DVD (used)

All for around $300 including a nice 15in monitor I got at a garage sale for $15, a $10 MS keyboard and optical mouse deal at best buy, and a floppy drive, and floppy and ide cables, and a fan and grill I got from the trash :D.

Captain Slug said:

By "wasteful" I mean they upgrade so frequently that they don't even USE their system very often. T[h]ey're proud, t[h]ey boast, t[h]ey're sore losers, and t[H]ey're generally unpleasant to be around.
I've only met a few, so yes. T[H]ey are a huge minority.

I don't really care how anyone spends their money, as long as they don't wave it in my face or pretend it makes any noticable difference in how likable or talented they are as a person.

Hmm, I think some of my keys are sticking... :)
hmmm i wonder if i understand exactly what you mean t[h]ere slug? lol jk i do.

well i did buy a 2700 when it hit the market and was throwing some great benchmarks.then 1 week later the jiuhb1700 came out and was doing the same speeds for $275 less.that was my first and last time i ever buy top end just hit the market parts.

i sold that 2700 for beer money and went and bought a 1700 the next week and love it many times over more than the 2700.

but yes sometimes ive seen people who think they can buy a great expensive new part it makes them an ocer.i kinda hated the nforce2 mobo's for that reason.

"IF" I were rich, I'd put alot into a computer, because if I did that, I'm sure it'd payfor it's self, in a way or nother.

Back