• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S3 Savage IX/MX Problems with Counter Strike in OPENGL!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

melon_stunner

I have two laptops that have built-in video. One with a S3 Savage IX and one with a S3 Savage MX. Both lock up when I play CS in openGL mode. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? Please help!

I was gonna suggest grabbing the newest drivers, but I'm betting you've already done that. Are there any S3 "enthusiast user" messageboards like Rage3D where people hack together slightly newer/updated driver files?

My stupid ATI Rage Pro Mobility chip in my Compaq Armada M300 lappy sucks a fat one and will always continue to do so... However after about 13 different trials with hacked pieces, I was able to get a single driver put together that does somewhat-ok DX8 3d (enough to play UnrealTournament at 512x384x16), mediocre OGL (enough to play Quake I at 512x384x16) and still is able to work correctly in DOS with extended ANSI characters (don't ask, heh)

Basically they just give you a list of components (DLL files, VXD files, etc) and you group them together for what kinds of performance you want. And then install them from a ubiquiteous INF file you can download...

Albuquerque said:
I was gonna suggest grabbing the newest drivers, but I'm betting you've already done that. Are there any S3 "enthusiast user" messageboards like Rage3D where people hack together slightly newer/updated driver files?

My stupid ATI Rage Pro Mobility chip in my Compaq Armada M300 lappy sucks a fat one and will always continue to do so... However after about 13 different trials with hacked pieces, I was able to get a single driver put together that does somewhat-ok DX8 3d (enough to play UnrealTournament at 512x384x16), mediocre OGL (enough to play Quake I at 512x384x16) and still is able to work correctly in DOS with extended ANSI characters (don't ask, heh)

Basically they just give you a list of components (DLL files, VXD files, etc) and you group them together for what kinds of performance you want. And then install them from a ubiquiteous INF file you can download...

Companies Sell Line: "We give the user control!"

...sounds like a bunch of lazy ****s to me... my $0.02, don't play games on a laptop unless it came with a GeForce2 onboard... just the way it goes. Laptops weren't meant for 3D gaming experience...

-Frank

Back