• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much performance from pc3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vertical_Zer0

Hey, I'm just wondering how much performance I'll gain if I upgrade from 512mb pc2100 to pc3200? My fsb right now is 145 if that makes any difference... I'm just curious so I know what exactly I'm getting into. Will there be any difference in 3dmark, sandra, or most importantly, games? The reason I chose to upgrade RAM first is because I have really bad generic pc2100 that just doesn't fit the bill. Thanks in advance.

You'll have to tell us a couple of things first... if you're upgrading an Athlon system, you'll see no performance. P4 is a different story, but that depends a lot on your motherboard. So give us your system specs and we'll try to give you some sort of reasonable estimate.

I have an xp1800 @1744 (145*12), MSI KT3 ULTRA2 mobo (latest BIOS, support for bartons)

Good stuff I have that mobo to, and was in the same situation you are. I want to upgrade my memory, will have to listen into the convo! :D

See, I believe I will gain some performance, but I would get much more from new memory if I had a 333mhz cpu like a barton. Am I right in thinking that?

Last edited:
Actually, will pc3200 (400mhz) even run on a kt333 board? I know it wouldn't run at 400mhz, but will it run at pc2700 speeds until I upgrade my mobo?

Last edited:
If you don't plan on increasing the fsb, there should be absolutely no difference. If you're pc2100 is running at 290mhz and you replace it with pc3200 it will still be running at 290mhz unless you increase the fsb or if you're motherboard has some fsb:memory ratios like 3:4 or 4:5, does it?

Back