• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More computer stupidity...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL. This one just grabs my attention for some reason:

A user who is attempting to dial in from home calls in for help. Nothing works. No matter what communications port he tries, no matter how he sets up his software, nothing works. This goes on for most of a day, as the user calls, is given something to try, tries it, calls back, is given something else to try, etc.
Finally, on about the eleventh call, our intrepid support person hears some odd noises, and asks out of simple curiosity what they are.
Customer: "Oh, that's traffic outside the phone booth."
Tech Support: "Phone booth?"
Customer: "Yeah, I don't have a phone in my apartment, so I'm calling from the phone booth on the corner."

It's hard for me to believe that there are actually people THIS computer-illerate in the first world. I've worked w/ people who know nothing, and even though the learning curve is quite sharp at some points, they generally pick things up relatively quickly.

God I love that website....I've had it bookmarked since the first time someone here posted a link to it.

Anytime I'm having a problem getting something to work right, I go read a few of those stories....first off, the break from fighting whatever I'm working on is beneficial....secondly, reading that there's dumber out there than me gets my mind straight again too... :D

B.

lol

this is pretty funny...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/archive/20011209-son.html

a sample
(its "is your son a hacker?")
1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?

Most American families use trusted and responsible Internet Service Providers, such as AOL. These providers have a strict "No Hacking" policy, and take careful measures to ensure that your internet experience is enjoyable, educational and above all legal. If your child is becoming a hacker, one of his first steps will be to request a change to a more hacker friendly provider.

I would advise all parents to refuse this request. One of the reasons your son is interested in switching providers is to get away from AOL's child safety filter. This filter is vital to any parent who wants his son to enjoy the internet without the endangering him through exposure to "adult" content. It is best to stick with the protection AOL provides, rather than using a home-based solution. If your son is becoming a hacker, he will be able to circumvent any home-based measures with surprising ease, using information gleaned from various hacker sites.

2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine offers to "download" one of the hacker applications. If this happens, it is time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing him with a grounding.

Oni said:

Unfortunately, views doesn not = card being sold :(

i'd be all for it if 1.) i had the money (this would go great in my future server) and 2.) was able to ship directly to you from newegg...

maybe if it is still around in about 3-4 weeks it will come true :) i will be working then and then i'll have money :)

My favorite so far:

Customer: "There are smoke and flames coming from my computer."
Tech Support: "Uh, hang up, unplug the computer from the wall, and call the local fire department."
Customer: "That's not the problem. I need to know how to do a backup. Fastest possible method."

here in my MCSE test preperation class, there are 3 people here who have absolutely no clue what they're doing

I pity them for paying for this class

Back