• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

artic silver ceramique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AS3 or ASC? I've got to try this new ASC when I order my fans.

Soy

I already posted a review of it :D Its good stuff, got 1c lower temps, only has a 12 hour cure time, easier to apply and clean off, and is supposed to last longer.

Oh and its non conductive :D

chasingapple said:
non conductive :D

Sorry I have to get specific, but I have to agree with IMOG & say it's still conductive to a small degree, even though it's not made from a conductor.

Soy

well i just applied it to my cpu and the temps are the same on mine as the as3 was but this is before cure time and so i guess the good points to me are less or not conductive and cheaper then as3

what i dont understand, why is AS making a product that performs almost exact same as as3, and selling it cheaper? thats like killing your own market. unless the profit is bigger selling the ASC because its cheeper to make?

if it works as well as AS3 (i haven't had a chance to try either), looks like i should see if fry's has some when i pay them a visit

Gods_oMekone said:
what i dont understand, why is AS making a product that performs almost exact same as as3, and selling it cheaper? thats like killing your own market. unless the profit is bigger selling the ASC because its cheeper to make?

it sells it in smaller tubes, so people will have to buy mroe, which will offset the cost of the as3 loss.

and BTW, I got this stuff 4 months ago :D and it rocks. I got 2C better than as3 after a day with my assy little aluminum hsf. :)

LittlePiggie said:

it sells it in smaller tubes, so people will have to buy mroe, which will offset the cost of the as3 loss.

and BTW, I got this stuff 4 months ago :D and it rocks. I got 2C better than as3 after a day with my assy little aluminum hsf. :)
but they sell 22grams for between 8 and 10 dollars

nerdlogic said:

Sorry I have to get specific, but I have to agree with IMOG & say it's still conductive to a small degree, even though it's not made from a conductor.

Soy
Electrical Insulator.

Ceramique does not contain any metal or other electrically conductive materials. It is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

Source

I decided to try my shiney new tube of Ceramique on my PIII-S this morning. This is on my test rig, it's a PIII-S 1.4Ghz running at default speed, Vcore and the retail Intel HSF at 12V on an Abit ST6. I was using ASIII and my temps were 33°C idle and 43°C at Prime95 load.

I pulled off the HSF and cleaned the ASIII off the CPU and HSF using acetone. I applied the Ceramique per AS's instructions. It isn't easier to spread than ASIII as reported, it's actually a little harder. It's thicker but it sticks well to the IHS when you're spreading it. Popped it back together and let it sit for a while.

Idle temp was the same as ASIII, about 33°C. Prime95 load temp was also the same, about 43°C. This is with about one hour of curing time, the instructions say it takes about two hours. It's been running Prime95 now for about seven hours. Temp is fluctuating between 42-43°C. Whoop-de-frigging-doo!

My conclusion: Six of one, a half-dozen of the other.....

Ralf Hutter said:
I decided to try my shiney new tube of Ceramique on my PIII-S this morning. This is on my test rig, it's a PIII-S 1.4Ghz running at default speed, Vcore and the retail Intel HSF at 12V on an Abit ST6. I was using ASIII and my temps were 33°C idle and 43°C at Prime95 load.

I pulled off the HSF and cleaned the ASIII off the CPU and HSF using acetone. I applied the Ceramique per AS's instructions. It isn't easier to spread than ASIII as reported, it's actually a little harder. It's thicker but it sticks well to the IHS when you're spreading it. Popped it back together and let it sit for a while.

Idle temp was the same as ASIII, about 33°C. Prime95 load temp was also the same, about 43°C. This is with about one hour of curing time, the instructions say it takes about two hours. It's been running Prime95 now for about seven hours. Temp is fluctuating between 42-43°C. Whoop-de-frigging-doo!

My conclusion: Six of one, a half-dozen of the other.....

Ceramique has a cure time of 12 hours, not 2. And you should expect no more then a 1c drop. As for spreading it on I found it much easier, AS3 tends to wipe right off, this stuff stays while spreading, and cleaning it off is a dream.

*edit*

Jur for arguements sake, here is a direct quote from AS.com

"Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shapes and sizes of the particles in Ceramique, it will take a minimum of 12 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop slightly over this "break-in" period."

Last edited:
chasingapple said:

Ceramique has a cure time of 12 hours, not 2. And you should expect no more then a 1c drop. As for spreading it on I found it much easier, AS3 tends to wipe right off, this stuff stays while spreading, and cleaning it off is a dream.

*edit*

Jur for arguements sake, here is a direct quote from AS.com

"Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shapes and sizes of the particles in Ceramique, it will take a minimum of 12 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop slightly over this "break-in" period."

Oops, thought it said 2hrs.

I'm up to 18+ hrs of Prime95 now and temps are still staying around 42°C. *Maybe* a minus 1°C change from ASIII.

Neither Newegg nor Fry's seems to have it...:(

Does anyone know of any stores in the Irvine, CA (located somewhere between Los Angeles and San Diego) area which sell AS Ceramique and Panaflo fans + connectors (Newegg's out of the connectors) also? I would like to get the items fast, since I'm assembling the computer soon, so out-of-state wouldn't really work for me...

Thanks!

Back